You are here

PMD570

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

PMD570

Postby Zygmo » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:14 am

Hey Guys. I am new here from AudioKarma. I posted my question there and never got any response.
I have a Marantz PMD570 Professional Solid State Recorder. I only have an old (ooold) 32MB PNY Compact Flash disk, which I am hoping is the problem. The deck goes into recording or playback mode perfectly, but no signal gets to the meters or on the disk. I have formatted it in the deck, which upon starting shows "Blank Disk", as it should. I also verified that the source is sending the signal by connecting the same cables to a cassette deck.
I can record and playback this disk on my computer.

Also, when connecting the deck to the computer with the USB cable, the computer does not recognize the CF disk.

Do you think the problem is just the deck does not work with this particular CF disk? I have ordered a LEXAR 32GB disk hoping it will work.
Thanks.
Dean
Zygmo
New here

Re: PMD570

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:05 pm

Worth a try, I did try a search on the Marrantz site for recommended CF cards but no results. It is only 14 years old so that seems a bit soon to be binning support at least WRT documentation. I did find the manual here :-https://www.jingle.org/marantzPMD570manual.pdf in case you haven got one.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Zygmo » Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:17 am

Yes, I have the manuals. I ordered a new 32GB CompactFlash card from Staples and received the box today. They sent me two compact flash Lexar 32GB SDHC cards. LOL So I STILL can't test the Marantz.
Thanks.
Dean
Zygmo
New here

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:18 pm

I have couple of CF/SD adapters, given that SD cards are easier and more convenient than CF might one of those be worth a try?

BTW After reading this thread I have just bought a used PMD570 off ebay. When I get it I'll let you know how I get on with mine.

BTW2 What a great name for a hometown :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Zygmo » Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:38 am

It is hard to find any support for these. But somewhere I read that one of their different models did not get along well with Sandisk. That one worked better with PNY and LEXAR CRs.
Also, I have read support for other electronic equipment that said those adapters can be a problem.

Here is what happened. And you need to keep this in mind when you get yours. There may be what looks like a partly peeled off sticker on the top front. That is a security sticker....if torn more or removed, it could indicate the case was opened, which breaks the warranty. I thought, since it is a used item, the previous owner just tried to peel off a sticker that was still there from new, and just left it when it wouldn't come off easy. When I got mine, I just started it up, and everything seemed to work. I was modifying my Marantz Stereo cabinet to hold this, and cleaned off that sticker because it looked bad. THEN, when the machine did not want to record, I went back to the site to see about returning it. THAT is when I saw the statement about the sticker. So, I am screwed if this problem is not the card....I am sure they would believe me if I told them this story! :lolno:
I am searching for a good price now on a CF.

Thanks.
Dean
Zygmo
New here

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:10 pm

As the one I've bought is coming from Leicester Police I have high hopes that it will not have been tampered with by amateurs (though it's not entirely out of the question) and return is an option. I already have a CF-SD adapters as well as several CF cards of various makes and sizes so should be able to test thoroughly before the return window closes. If any of the media does prove unreliable I'll post on here for future reference.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Zygmo » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:27 pm

Thanks. Many of these were used by various offices.

I don't believe mine was tampered with. It was supposedly fully tested, the security tag placed by the company I purchased it from and they have good reviews. If the card is not the problem it just may have gotten damaged in shipping. Physically it is fine....anything could happen in the electronics of course.
Zygmo
New here

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:47 pm

My PMD570 arrived this morning (yes, on a Sunday) and looks almost new, a tiny bit of rack rash around the bolt holes and a couple of very small scratches on the top edge of the front panel but the rest of it is virtually mint, no scratches to the tinwork and no visible wear to the controls. I've recorded a couple of short tracks via the digital input onto a random CF card and a similarly random SD-CF adapter with a 4GB SanDisc SDHC card in it, both apparently without issues.

So if anybody else is in need of a solid state audio recorder with SP/DIF I/O and can live with 16/48 max then for £113.50 inc carriage these seem a good choice and they still have 20 left as I type so my only worry is that they'll lower the price :headbang: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Used-Marantz-Professional-PMD570-Solid-State-Recorder/402453549233?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Zygmo » Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:51 am

Great, Sam. Glad to hear you had good luck. Coincidence the two of us on this forum getting these within 2 weeks of each other!

I finally was given a name to contact. He said to get another card, preferably a PNY or LEXAR 8gb or less. He said sometimes when you use Windows to format one of these cards, it puts a recycle file there, which confuses the Deck. He recommends always formatting the cards in the Marantz.

Manual is pretty complicated, isn't it?!

I will post what happens here.
Zygmo
New here

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:52 pm

TBF, I bought mine because I went looking to see what your's looked like (I've had a Marantz PMD620 portable for many years) and came across the Leicester Police auction on ebay. I had been looking for a solid state recorder with digital I/O for a while (see the other thread) and, at the price, it looked like a good option.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Zygmo » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:31 am

Sam Spoons wrote:TBF, I bought mine because I went looking to see what your's looked like (I've had a Marantz PMD620 portable for many years) and came across the Leicester Police auction on ebay. I had been looking for a solid state recorder with digital I/O for a while (see the other thread) and, at the price, it looked like a good option.

Ok, Sam. I finally got a 4g Verbatim card. It, along with the 12g Lexar I had already gotten does not work. Both come up and say "Must format in PC". Even the 4g. Didn't work of course....keeps saying needs to be formatted in PC. So, I tried formatting in the Marantz, didn't seem to work, but I realized I could barely hear music in the headphones. So I started twirling that level control back and forth.....volume (with static) started rising, and gettng meter movement. Turns out.....Level control needed deox!
So now....when I put either card in, it requires a format in PC. BUT....I can format either one (even the 12g) in the machine, and it works fine, till I shut down. Upon restarting, same thing....have to format every time. So, unless I can find out how to fix that, the deck is virtually worthless....no good if you lose what you recorded every time you turn it off.
Zygmo
New here

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:16 pm

That sounds like a small step in the right direction. It's hard to see why it should lose it's format after power cycling though...

I've recorded a couple of hours on mine now and it seemed to work fine, it won't get turned on every day though. FWIW three now sold by Leicester Police so 19 left, price still £105 + carriage.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster