You are here

UK online gear shop?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

UK online gear shop?

Postby rikki rivett » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:35 pm

Hi, I want to order a mike & stand for my son in the UK (I’m in Germany) & figure delivery will be cheaper if I order in the UK. What are the best online dealers in the UK please?

Thx

RR
rikki rivett
Poster

Re: UK online gear shop?

Postby desmond » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:40 pm

You haven't tried thomann.de?

Some UK I've used:-
andertons.co.uk
gak.co.uk
www.pmtonline.co.uk
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby blinddrew » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:41 pm

I use gear4music but mostly because they're also my local music shop.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby rikki rivett » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:12 pm

Thanks!
rikki rivett
Poster

Postby zenguitar » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:21 pm

desmond wrote:Some UK I've used:-
andertons.co.uk
gak.co.uk
www.pmtonline.co.uk

I've used all three in recent weeks/months and had excellent service from all.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
liberté, frivolité et vanité

Postby Music Wolf » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:12 pm

Thomann charge approx £8 uk delivery on orders below about £200. I've got orders in place with both Thomann and Gear4Music at present. Cheapest delivery from G4M was £3.49.

I often find Thomann to be cheapest overall and have the biggest range of product.

I ordered from Thomann late last Wednesday evening, delivery is due this coming Wednesday. G4M ordered Thursday with delivery scheduled for Tuesday but I did have the option to pay more and get delivered sooner.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby James Perrett » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:31 pm

Also worth looking at Studiospares

https://www.studiospares.com/

(although I don't think I've bought anything from them since they were taken over by JHS) and CPC

https://cpc.farnell.com/

who always seem to deliver much quicker than they say they will. CPC's mic range may be more limited than others though.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby rikki rivett » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:09 am

Thanks all. In the end I used Music Store, they had everything on the list, and also because I can claim the VAT here. Prices are good so shipping costs for orders under 100 are ok

Cheers
rikki rivett
Poster

Postby w oxo cube » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:00 pm

Thomnan have good prices but if you are unlucky enough to have a problem you are unlucky indeed. In 44 years of life, the worst customer service I've ever had the misfortune to endure.
w oxo cube
Regular

Postby desmond » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:09 pm

w oxo cube wrote:Thomnan have good prices but if you are unlucky enough to have a problem you are unlucky indeed. In 44 years of life, the worst customer service I've ever had the misfortune to endure.

I haven't used them for while, but I've had no complaints when I did, and I bought a fair amount from them. I remember one time, I ordered a patchbay, one of the Behringer ones, but they sent me a Neutrik one by mistake. They apologised, said I could keep it, and sent me the Behringer one I'd paid for.

(The Neutrik is still in the rack, the Behringer ones are gone...)
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby w oxo cube » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:32 pm

Try getting them to understand the concept a manufacturing error. I bought a Genelec speaker in June that couldn't receive a screw to due to paint in the threads and now they want to charge me £35 to send the defective speaker back.

I've sent videos, pictures long descriptions, you name it. Every time you email them someone different picks up the case and you are back to square one. The amount of time I've spent on this when a replacement speaker should have been sent out at the start, excites my chagrin somewhat.
w oxo cube
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:40 pm

I don't buy much from Thomann, and I especially avoid anything with external mains power supplies because I have had trouble in the past with inappropriate mains plugs and adapters.

But of the stuff I have bought, I've not had any problems at all apart from once when I bought some K&M 21431 'mini boom arms' which I mostly use as 'drop arms' from boom stands. I bought two, one of which was fine while the second had a stand fitting that was drilled but hadn't been tapped for the 3/8-inch thread.

I sent an explanation of the problem with a photo and the person I dealt with understood without any problem and send out a new one immediately. I later bought a suitable tap and cut a thread in the defective unit myself, so now I have three... And very useful they are, too!
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:50 pm

When I'm ordering for installs I almost always use Thomann as a convenient 'one-stop-shop'.

The very few problems I've had with ordering literally £Ks of gear have been quickly and efficiently sorted. This included arranging a different pallet-delivery firm when their usual was closed for an extended Christmas break.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby RonanMcDermott » Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:27 pm

I lived in Switzerland for seven years and ordered from Thomann.de - never had a problem. One issue with out-of-stock connectors was swiftly resolved.

A Swiss domain musix.ch is also musix.de [CORRECTION https://musix.com/de/en] - I can highly recommend - I suspect they're the same company. Excellent prices (consistently cheapest in Europe - but Swiss VAT rates are lower), excellent customer service. Excellent range and large stock.

I have also ordered from Thomann.ie and Amazon.co.uk (and another company in Liverpool whose name I forgot) for delivery in Ireland. Thomann and the Liverpudlians were always fine.

I had major issue with Amazon.co.uk - their delivery courier in Ireland completely dropped the ball. Zero communications, no delivery in the agreed window. Amazon did cancel the order and refund. Then the goods showed up a week later - dropped behind debris in the driveway. Zero email, phone call or SMS from the courier. Found the items completely by chance. Their comms were so poor, I didn't contact Amazon to offer payment. It wasn't a high-value order. But my conscience is clear. They messed me around for days.

Now I'm living in Ukraine - and can get most things locally, in well stocked bricks-and-mortar stores. Hard to get small items, I can order from Switzerland and have posted.

Good luck!
RonanMcDermott
New here

Postby FrankF » Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:45 pm

Let's not forget the Dutch, aka Bax Shop.

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/

Free delivery above 20€, 120-day free returns, and they're often cheaper than all the usual suspects.
They have warehouses in France and the UK (at least) so delivery is as good as John Travolta's car.
I just returned a very disappointing Beatstep, FREE, and the refund went as smooth as Marlon Brando's butter.

They have also been known to do specials on the Behringer X32, where the smaller models can be had for under 1k euros, which is about £900!
FrankF
Regular

Next