You are here

Patch Bays

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Patch Bays

Postby Zukan » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:51 am

Matt Houghton wrote:
Luke W wrote:a bit of de-soldering and cleaning up. Sadly I quite like such things...

Sadly? If you enjoy soldering, you can make cash doing that kind of thing!

(I have some M&M bantam pays I've been meaning to clean up and sell for years... never seem to find the time!)

This is why I got Max to do his thang.
Zukan

Postby Matt Houghton » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:43 am

Zukan wrote:
Matt Houghton wrote:
Luke W wrote:a bit of de-soldering and cleaning up. Sadly I quite like such things...

Sadly? If you enjoy soldering, you can make cash doing that kind of thing!

(I have some M&M bantam pays I've been meaning to clean up and sell for years... never seem to find the time!)

This is why I got Max to do his thang.

Yeah, I ended up going a different route: Neutrik bantam patchbays with clip connectors on the rear: no soldering/desoldering required! (Second-hand bargain, obvs... these things are NOT cheap if you buy new! :headbang: )
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby Matt Houghton » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:49 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:dirty patchbays

This ^.

I don't trust the bays built into desks where the sockets face upwards, as I reckon they make great dust and dirt traps. At least, I reckon they probably benefit from more regular use or cleaning.

I've yet to encounter a dirt problem that isn't speedily fixed by a burred jack and/or an application of Deoxit D5, though. (Just don't apply it Scrooge-like with cotton buds, or you'll lose a tip and it will take an age to retrieve it... don't ask me how I know that :beamup: )
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby Luke W » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:00 am

Matt Houghton wrote:
Hugh Robjohns wrote:dirty patchbays

This ^.

I don't trust the bays built into desks where the sockets face upwards, as I reckon they make great dust and dirt traps. At least, I reckon they probably benefit from more regular use or cleaning.

I've yet to encounter a dirt problem that isn't speedily fixed by a burred jack and/or an application of Deoxit D5, though. (Just don't apply it Scrooge-like with cotton buds, or you'll lose a tip and it will take an age to retrieve it... don't ask me how I know that :beamup: )

I've always had that feeling about bays mounted alongside consoles etc, they look like trouble to me.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Previous