You are here

Boss BR800 newbie

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Boss BR800 newbie

Postby vaporboy » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:27 am

Looking for some expert help, and thanks in advance. So today I tried to record some vocals to a stereo backing track. I had the mic plugged into input 1 in the back and I selected mono in the input selection. I was recording bvs on track 4 and I could only get vocals in the left channel, any thoughts?
vaporboy
New here

Re: Boss BR800 newbie

Postby desmond » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:51 am

Pan that channel to the center?
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby vaporboy » Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:57 am

I couldnt find a pan control, apologies for my ignorance, my old portastudio had seperate pan controls , I can find nithing like that on this unit unfortunately
vaporboy
New here

Postby desmond » Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:31 am

I just googled for the manual and looked at contents - panning the recording input is described on p40.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby vaporboy » Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:57 am

Thankyou I will check that out
vaporboy
New here

Postby CS70 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:05 am

vaporboy wrote:Looking for some expert help, and thanks in advance. So today I tried to record some vocals to a stereo backing track. I had the mic plugged into input 1 in the back and I selected mono in the input selection. I was recording bvs on track 4 and I could only get vocals in the left channel, any thoughts?

I have the BR800, used it a lot and on occasion still do, to get down ideas at band practice.. never had that problem? Why do you select mono? It's just a matter of plugging the mic, arming the track and record.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby vaporboy » Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:48 pm

Well looking at the input options and mainly the graphics that go with each option, there is no single mic graphic just 2 mic graphic and stereo default, so as I'm just recording through one mic it seems like the unit is expecting 2 mics to be connected. Its almost like its missing a single mic option if you see what I mean
vaporboy
New here

Postby desmond » Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:56 pm

vaporboy wrote:Well looking at the input options and mainly the graphics that go with each option, there is no single mic graphic just 2 mic graphic and stereo default, so as I'm just recording through one mic it seems like the unit is expecting 2 mics to be connected. Its almost like its missing a single mic option if you see what I mean

No, it's quite normal to record one mic to a mono track. But if you are recording to the left side of a stereo track, perhaps you need to change the track to mono. Did you check out the manual? I'm sure this super-common procedure is documented there.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:28 pm

vaporboy wrote:Well looking at the input options and mainly the graphics that go with each option, there is no single mic graphic just 2 mic graphic and stereo default, so as I'm just recording through one mic it seems like the unit is expecting 2 mics to be connected. Its almost like its missing a single mic option if you see what I mean

No need. Just plug one mic and you'll be fine. The thing is made so that , if you have to think, you're not on the right track :)

It's a great little package for the size.. if only they'd given phantom power to all preamps, recorded at 24 bit instead of 16 and given it some decent gain knobs it would have been unbeatable. I miss the v-tracks anytime I'm recording with something else, even the DAW. No mouse involved!
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby vaporboy » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:43 pm

I did set it to mono but it came out left channel only, I really dont get it, maybe my unit is faulty, next step page 40 lol
vaporboy
New here

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:20 pm

vaporboy wrote:I did set it to mono but it came out left channel only, I really dont get it, maybe my unit is faulty, next step page 40 lol

No, that's highly unlikely, it'll be a setup issue. Enjoy page 40 :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........