You are here

Compressors: do you use more than a couple?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Compressors: do you use more than a couple?

Postby Moroccomoose » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:12 am

I used to be a free plugin hoarder. Especially when I was using earlier versions cubase and before I'd upgraded. I went from AI4 to Cubase 8 Artist which was a huge shift in terms of available stock plugins. Now, for just about everything, I use the stock plugs, but... I do like the Tokyo Dawn Labs freebie on drum busses.

Stu.
Moroccomoose
Regular

Postby Zukan » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:06 am

I have a ton of compressors/limiters and TBH I try to use a different one each time I need one. I can state that the only 2 I can always rely on to give me 'that sound' are IK's White 2A and SSL G.

I tend to opt for different dynamic and gain management tools nowadays. Transient shapers, clippers, dynamic eqs and so on give another perspective to the 'slap it on and colour the damn thing' goals.
Zukan

Postby Zukan » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:08 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
The Elf wrote:I don't mind the stupidity on GS; it's the unchecked aggression that turns me away.

Quite so! I didn't go there often -- the noise to signal ratio was far too high to find anything interesting -- but I recently deleted my account there simply because of the appalling aggression and outrageous bigotry from people who were astonishingly ignorant.

I rarely go there. Rude and self-opinionated assholes and so cliquey that a metronome is put to shame.
Zukan

Postby Kwackman » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:13 am

Zukan wrote:so cliquey that a metronome is put to shame.

:bouncy: :bouncy:
Kwackman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Cubase, guitars.

Postby jaminem » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:54 am

There are some knobs on GS but to be fair there are some on here too. If you avoid the 'you cant make decent music without the vintage compressor 3000' there are a lot of really creative people on there as well, with some great ideas.

Similarly on here, there can be a bit of a 'beardy' undertone where sometimes its more important to be technically correct than make great music.

Just my opinion.

In the case of compressors, I use the Distressor plugin a lot, I recently got a 'real one' which is great. Tubetech CL1b , API2500 on drums, 1176 on vocals, SSL bus comp etc...

Also as a console 1 user, the SSL comp on there gets used a fair bit as its right in the workflow
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:55 am

I’ve got three hardware compressors, and god knows how many software ones.
I find them all really boring, I’ve never been a compressor person, in fact, I can’t, most of the time, tell any difference if they are being used or not. I hear people wax lyrical about some valve job that costs a fortune, and think, what are you talking about?
Compression for me is strictly a utility, I use limiting and compression to stop things overloading, and to even things out a bit, but that’s it. And I definitly do not, like to hear them working.
As for software compressors, I can’t think of anything less exciting, maybe brown shoes, or an instant coffee?
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:33 am

Arpangel wrote:I’ve got three hardware compressors, and god knows how many software ones.
I find them all really boring, I’ve never been a compressor person, in fact, I can’t, most of the time, tell any difference if they are being used or not. I hear people wax lyrical about some valve job that costs a fortune, and think, what are you talking about?

It's like having different sizes of wrenches - you get the sound you want faster (or at all) by using the "right" one.

So it depends as much from your expectations, your skill in developing them (in particular with compression, you really have to learn to hear what it does) and your skill in making that vision a reality... than the device themselves.

If you are more about free exploration rather than a defined vision, and/or haven't much interest in learning the skill of making that vision happen, they're certainly no big deal.

If you want, it's a bit like "lets take this car and see how fast it can go" as opposite to "let's make a car that can go exactly that fast". You seldom fail at the former, the latter can be tricky.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:43 am

Incidentally (and thanks for all the really great replies btw), if you want another compressor in your toolkit, there are some nice deals here from Black Rooster Audio. I have to confess to just getting the VLA3 model here as it's the price of a small round of beers! https://blackroosteraudio.com/en/products
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:30 pm

jaminem wrote:Similarly on here, there can be a bit of a 'beardy' undertone where sometimes its more important to be technically correct than make great music.

You get cliques and a-holes everywhere.... but as a man with a beard who sings in an undertone, I'd argue that people come to this forum for two reasons (well, three if we include the spammers! :lol: ). One is the social hangout aspect which I think is very important, and the other is to get or exchange information that assists them to make great music.

So having a reliable source of 'technically correct' information is fundamentally important... especially when so much 'information' (usually actually 'opinion') given elsewhere is technically wrong, misleading, and often unhelpful.

Personally -- and this is just my opinion -- I don't believe being 'technically correct is more important than making great music' .... but I do think it is advantageous to understand the technicalities before deciding to break them in an artistic way! :lol:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Luke W » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:03 pm

I'm definitely guilty of being a bit pedantic when it comes to all things technical. But I consider myself a techie first and musician second, and I understand that some people care a lot less (or not at all) about that side of things. However I do think that relying on incorrect information is worse than having none at all, especially when people are just starting out and learning things that will stick with them and infulence how they work for a long time.

That said, I'll never stop getting into a minor internal rage every time someone says phase instead of polarity... :D
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:07 pm

Having been a professional wordsmith for over 30 years, I get the same feeling when people don't know the difference between its and it's or your and you're or tomatoes and tomatoe's.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby jaminem » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:14 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
You get cliques and a-holes everywhere.... but as a man with a beard who sings in an undertone, I'd argue that people come to this forum for two reasons (well, three if we include the spammers! :lol: ). One is the social hangout aspect which I think is very important, and the other is to get or exchange information that assists them to make great music.

So having a reliable source of 'technically correct' information is fundamentally important... especially when so much 'information' (usually actually 'opinion') given elsewhere is technically wrong, misleading, and often unhelpful.

Personally -- and this is just my opinion -- I don't believe being 'technically correct is more important than making great music' .... but I do think it is advantageous to understand the technicalities before deciding to break them in an artistic way! :lol:

this certainly wasn't aimed at you Hugh and I totally agree that having this forum as a reference is invaluable as is you sharing your knowledge with us. (which is why I mostly come here, and rarely to the purple one)

I guess my point was that i've observed a kind of fall back position of some contributors where they rather channel their inner Hugh, than actually read the point and solve the problem. In the same way that on GS the fall back position is if its not doing what you want, replace it.

Both are equally important, its the application of the answer that's sometimes wrong...

again, just my opinion..
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Postby paul tha other » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:21 pm

i went on a hunt for compressors a few years back...bought a few..have a few old ones from the old tape days...used them all and i have 2 i keep coming back to..the stock one that comes with logic and the waves rcomp..nothing fancy ,,get the job done so i dont have to waste time thinking about it anymore..i used to have the ssl channel thing..its was full of charactor if thats what your are looking for
paul tha other
Frequent Poster
http://www.myspace.com/onemanandalaptop

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:24 pm

.the stock one that comes with logic and the waves rcomp

Do you use the different models in Logic or just stick to the default Platinum Digital, the blue one?
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:09 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:So having a reliable source of 'technically correct' information is fundamentally important... especially when so much 'information' (usually actually 'opinion') given elsewhere is technically wrong, misleading, and often unhelpful.

And people rarely try to pass off opinion as fact but if they do, or if anybody gives advice that is ambiguous or inaccurate it will quickly be corrected but, and this is important, without any attempt ridicule the poster.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

PreviousNext