You are here

Compressors: do you use more than a couple?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Compressors: do you use more than a couple?

Postby John Stafford » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:48 pm

The trick is to buy some cheap compressor that is discontinued because it flopped. Get loads of them dirt cheap. Then make a recording using it that sounds great. Then, after you've made it desirable, sell off the others for ten times what you paid. :lol: :lol: :lol:
John Stafford
Poster

Postby desmond » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:51 pm

John Stafford wrote:The trick is to buy some cheap compressor that is discontinued because it flopped. Get loads of them dirt cheap. Then make a recording using it that sounds great. Then, after you've made it desirable, sell off the others for ten times what you paid. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can't believe people are actively searching out Alesis 3630's these days.

I still remember Fletcher's, um, Mackie/Alesis "tribute" back in the 90s on rec.audio.pro...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby blinddrew » Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:08 pm

John Stafford wrote:The trick is to buy some cheap compressor that is discontinued because it flopped. Get loads of them dirt cheap. Then make a recording that sounds great and say you've used it. Then, after you've made it desirable, sell off the others for ten times what you paid. :lol: :lol: :lol:
FTFY ;)

I mean, why make it hard for yourself?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby paul tha other » Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:10 pm

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:
.the stock one that comes with logic and the waves rcomp

Do you use the different models in Logic or just stick to the default Platinum Digital, the blue one?

yes

i use the fet setting for bass and sometimes vocals but the default platinum works for most things for me
paul tha other
Frequent Poster
http://www.myspace.com/onemanandalaptop

Postby Zukan » Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:43 pm

desmond wrote:
John Stafford wrote:The trick is to buy some cheap compressor that is discontinued because it flopped. Get loads of them dirt cheap. Then make a recording using it that sounds great. Then, after you've made it desirable, sell off the others for ten times what you paid. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can't believe people are actively searching out Alesis 3630's these days.

I still remember Fletcher's, um, Mackie/Alesis "tribute" back in the 90s on rec.audio.pro...

You know, I remember a time when Max and I were buying up TL C2021s as they were going for cheap. They were a hidden gem of a weapon.....and then people cottoned on.

In its day the 3630, and many budget comps like it, had their uses. The 3630 gained its fame through its use for s/c compression and added to the pump effect so desired at the time.
Zukan

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:23 pm

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:Pah, compared with Devil Loc it’s a pussy cat :D And DL doesn’t sound like a dodgy condom.

Actually I have DevilLocDeluxe, and like it a lot, but I've filed it my Distortion folder rather than the Compression one, as its sonic effects generally require a Government Health Warning ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby The Elf » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:25 pm

desmond wrote:I can't believe people are actively searching out Alesis 3630's these days.
I hope they enjoy the lovely audible 'click' every time audio goes over the threshold. Easily one of the worst pieces of gear I've ever used. I got mine cheap, learned it was rubbish and sold it for a small profit. Win-win!

For hardware I'm covered by my SSL SuperAnalogue channels and my Focusrite Liquid Channels. The LCs really do emulate the classic compressors they claim to, to my satisfaction at least. I managed to grab a few of them when the price was at its lowest. They've been a fabulous investment. Once I had these I stopped looking for any other hardware compressors.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:59 pm

its sonic effects generally require a Government Health Warning

I know, I don't think I've ever had any of its controls set to more than 1!
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby blinddrew » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:25 pm

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:
its sonic effects generally require a Government Health Warning

I know, I don't think I've ever had any of its controls set to more than 1!
I like to crank the controls then just back off the wet/dry mix. :) [EDIT - generally at about 10% is more than enough!]
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby desmond » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:32 pm

I haven't used Devii Loc Deluxe much yet - I should have a play... :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:48 am

desmond wrote:I haven't used Devii Loc Deluxe much yet - I should have a play... :thumbup:

It turns creative pumping into an art form! 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby ManFromGlass » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:22 am

If it's creative pumping you want check out
Xfer's LFOtool
great fun
Cableguy's Shaperbox can be fun too.

and
I have a Rane DC24 I'm thinking of selling. But it never became famous so it's worth not much. Maybe it will be used on the next chart topper.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:22 am

CS70 wrote:
Arpangel wrote:I’ve got three hardware compressors, and god knows how many software ones.
I find them all really boring, I’ve never been a compressor person, in fact, I can’t, most of the time, tell any difference if they are being used or not. I hear people wax lyrical about some valve job that costs a fortune, and think, what are you talking about?

It's like having different sizes of wrenches - you get the sound you want faster (or at all) by using the "right" one.

So it depends as much from your expectations, your skill in developing them (in particular with compression, you really have to learn to hear what it does) and your skill in making that vision a reality... than the device themselves.

If you are more about free exploration rather than a defined vision, and/or haven't much interest in learning the skill of making that vision happen, they're certainly no big deal.

If you want, it's a bit like "lets take this car and see how fast it can go" as opposite to "let's make a car that can go exactly that fast". You seldom fail at the former, the latter can be tricky.

I used to have a Summit DCL200 compressor, it was on loan for a long time, during that time I played around with it, and just had it permanently across my mixer outputs, into my interface. What came out certainly didn’t sound any worse than it did before, and, its compression was very transparent at modest levels. Great.
However, I was recording my neighbour at the time, a female singer, with loads of her own songs to make into a demo, we did one session every week, and sometimes my gear set-up would change, one week the Summit got borrowed by my band guitarist, I didn’t think anymore of it, I think maybe we didn’t use any compression on that session, I’m not sure, but it was very interesting.
On playback at her house, she and her father said that the "quality" of the recordings wasn’t as good as it has been, and it sounded "strange" her father was more animated, and used more extreme language, but you get the drift.
The only thing that was changed was the compressor, same microphone, same everything, he insisted that I got the compressor back, at all costs, and if necessary he would hire one in! Bare in mind these weren’t technical people, or recording freaks, just "normal" folks.
I must admit, I didn’t hear a huge difference at the time, not enough to make me think something was majorly wrong, maybe it was a little different, who knows.
I got the compressor back and all was fine, they were happy, maybe it was the sight of this thing, it’s old style knobs and meters etc, I’m not knocking it, Summit make lovely stuff, and on some things like guitar and bass it was obviously doing something nice, but this surprised me, how something like this was such a big deal to people who had no experience in these things.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Previous