You are here

Mic Test Feedback

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Mic Test Feedback

Postby JRocker » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:02 am

Hi,

I did a demo today of two microphones, a AT2020 and a Rode M3. I want to compare and get others feedback and opinions on what they think sounds a better mic for recording acoustic rhythm guitar. Also interested in learning how each mic's own characteristics and guitars affect the overall tone end result. So any tech details and knowledge you can share to help me understand this facet would be greatly appreciated in my knowledge base.

I have recorded four short rhythm examples using the two mics on two different acoustics. The acoustic guitars are a Maton and a Sigma DMST.

The order of the examples are as it plays in the sound clip are:

Sigma mic-ed with Rode M3- Maton mic-ed with Rode M3 - Sigma mic-ed with AT2020 and Maton mic-ed with AT2020.

They were recorded with the mic about a foot away from 12th fret.

You can hear the sound clip here:https://soundcloud.com/user-192692353/mic-test

Thanks in advance.
JRocker
Regular

Re: Mic Test Feedback

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:41 pm

Each clip is louder than it's predecessor, that suggests that the Maton is louder than the Sigma and the 2020 is more sensitive than the M3.

Clip one sounds a little 'weak and thin' clip 2 more natural, clip 3 sounds a bit hard and upper mid focused, clip 4 sounds fuller but I suspect the extra level from the 2020 is causing the extra fullness. The Sigma might work better in a mix but the Maton is definitely nicer for solo accompaniment. Moving the M3 a little towards the sound hole might add some warmth as would increasing the gain slightly.

HTH
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby The Elf » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:18 pm

Why agonise? Just pick the mic you like the sound of and go with it!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby JRocker » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:31 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Each clip is louder than it's predecessor, that suggests that the Maton is louder than the Sigma and the 2020 is more sensitive than the M3.

Clip one sounds a little 'weak and thin' clip 2 more natural, clip 3 sounds a bit hard and upper mid focused, clip 4 sounds fuller but I suspect the extra level from the 2020 is causing the extra fullness. The Sigma might work better in a mix but the Maton is definitely nicer for solo accompaniment. Moving the M3 a little towards the sound hole might add some warmth as would increasing the gain slightly.

HTH

Thank you for this feedback Sam Spoons! Do you think the Sigma is also suited better for playing lead lines?

Also regarding the 2020, do you think if I turned it around to the back, and record it that way it would lessen the sensitivity of the mic?
JRocker
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:44 pm

Not sure why you'd want to reduce the sensitivity of the 2020, but turning it around to face away from the guitar is a bad idea, you would lose a loth of the upper frequencies and pick up a lot of reverberant room sound.... Very bad.... Why not either turn the gain down a little or turn the gain on the M3 up a bit?

I prefer the sound of your Maton over the Sigma (no surprise there really) but the brighter sound of the Sigma may well work in a mix. For lead, where the guitar is up front I'd still prefer the Maton for it's fuller sound but there are no rules so try both.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........