You are here

Zoom H6 intermittent power on issues

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Zoom H6 intermittent power on issues

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:19 pm

Is the button cell in a holder or soldered to the mainboard? if the former then it's easy, and cheap, to change it. Even rechargeable cells die eventually. But, does the H6 boot reliably when it is plugged into it's mains adapter?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Rod1813 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:12 pm

Hi Sam

The cell is soldered to the board and no, the unit does exactly the same thing irrespective of its power source (batteries or mains).
What I was thinking is this - if that cell is used to assist with the boot process (very much like the CMOS on a PC) and it's in the process of dying then the boot instructions are either missing or confused and the machine freezes without completing the boot process. After a short period of trying there is now sufficient power in the cell to complete the tasks and boots fine. Once the machine is switched off, the residual power in the cell drains and we're back to zero again.
Does this make sense?
Rod1813
Poster

Postby wireman » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:19 pm

Rod1813 wrote:Hi Sam

The cell is soldered to the board and no, the unit does exactly the same thing irrespective of its power source (batteries or mains).
What I was thinking is this - if that cell is used to assist with the boot process (very much like the CMOS on a PC) and it's in the process of dying then the boot instructions are either missing or confused and the machine freezes without completing the boot process. After a short period of trying there is now sufficient power in the cell to complete the tasks and boots fine. Once the machine is switched off, the residual power in the cell drains and we're back to zero again.
Does this make sense?

I think this is very unlikely.
If there was enough voltage to charge the battery that same source would be powering the other components.
wireman
Frequent Poster

Postby James Perrett » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:37 pm

Can you take a photo of the battery and post it somewhere so that we can see what type it is?
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Rod1813 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:02 pm

I took 2 photos of the underside of the motherboard when the unit was in pieces but they are not very clear. The button cell is visible but I cannot read the letters on the cell to identify specifically which 3 volt rechargeable cell it is.

I also don't know how to post photos in these posts.

Sorry
Rod1813
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:09 pm

WRT posting images the forum does not host them so you'll need to host them on another site, I use Imgur and link to them, the direct link pasted into the "Img" tags will display the image in the post.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:18 pm

Short video on how to post images here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7vVDGTOHW0
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Rod1813 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:43 am

Thanks a lot Mike for the tutorial on uploading images. It was a breeze!

This is one of the photos I took of the motherboard where the button cell is located. The other pic does not show the cell as clear as this one so didn't bother uploading it.

Please shout if anyone needs anything else from me. I've plugged the H6 into the ac/dc adapter and will leave it there for the next 8 hours or so and see if that improves the situation. I will report back with any data that I find.

Thanks again for all the interest on this forum.
Rod1813
Poster

Postby Shooroopski » Tue May 18, 2021 10:39 pm

Hey, I had same issue. Managed to fix it by cleaning all flex cables and connector with spray antiseptic and cotton buds. It had some kind of grayish fungus or something on it. Now device boots and works fine. :thumbup:
Shooroopski

Previous