You are here

Room treatment and monitor speakers suggestions.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Room treatment and monitor speakers suggestions.

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:14 pm

If you can source 50mm RW3 or similar a simple frame made from 2" x 1" planed timber so the rockwool batt is a snug fit will, when covered with fabric (I used Camira Cara fabric bought from Gik Acoustics), provide sufficient support as the RW3 is stiff enough to mostly support itself. I have 4 panels on the ceiling, the largest are 1200 x 600mm x 50mm RW3 and am going to add another 3, plus at least couple more on the walls.

I keep meaning to make a drawing of the construction details, it's pretty obvious but if it would help I'll do one and post it here.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Mus » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:46 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:If you can source 50mm RW3 or similar a simple frame made from 2" x 1" planed timber so the rockwool batt is a snug fit will, when covered with fabric (I used Camira Cara fabric bought from Gik Acoustics), provide sufficient support as the RW3 is stiff enough to mostly support itself. I have 4 panels on the ceiling, the largest are 1200 x 600mm x 50mm RW3 and am going to add another 3, plus at least couple more on the walls.

I keep meaning to make a drawing of the construction details, it's pretty obvious but if it would help I'll do one and post it here.

Thanks Sam, much appreciated :)

Murray
Mus
Regular
Murray Webster London Songwriters - Collaboration Songshare Retreats Community

Postby Mus » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:13 pm

Mus wrote:The Presonus 3.5s with Bluetooth look like they might be perfectly adequate and quite portable too - been looking for something like those for a while :)

Cheers
Murray

Does anyone know what floor stands would be suitable for these monitors? I think it's my only option at the mo'

Thanks!
M
Mus
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:46 pm

Rough sketch of how I made my panel frames (not to scale).

I used a batten or two across the back to space them off the wall/ceiling and act as an invisible (mostly) fixing.

Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby uselessoldman » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:06 am

I bought the Adams TV7's not cos of price but due to the sound quality and their 5 year warranty. Looking at the size of your room the 5s would be plenty big enough and slightly cheaper. I considered the choice of studio monitors as my top priority where I saved elsewhere I spent on what I considered the best value all round speakers.
uselessoldman
Regular

Postby Zukan » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:51 am

Mus, been centuries dude. Lovely to have you here my friend.
Zukan

Postby Mus » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:11 am

Zukan wrote:Mus, been centuries dude. Lovely to have you here my friend.

Cheers Ed, been stupid busy but have a new room to use :)
Mus
Regular

Postby Mus » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:13 am

Sam Spoons wrote:Rough sketch of how I made my panel frames (not to scale).

I used a batten or two across the back to space them off the wall/ceiling and act as an invisible (mostly) fixing.

Many thanks for that Sam, much appreciated. Will take a look at that as a project :)

Murray
Mus
Regular

Postby Mus » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:37 am

uselessoldman wrote:I bought the Adams TV7's not cos of price but due to the sound quality and their 5 year warranty. Looking at the size of your room the 5s would be plenty big enough and slightly cheaper. I considered the choice of studio monitors as my top priority where I saved elsewhere I spent on what I considered the best value all round speakers.

Thank you uom, will check those out.

Do they have any provision for mounting on stands or would a universal stand with a plate do?

Cheers
M
Mus
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:22 pm

Mus wrote:Many thanks for that Sam, much appreciated. Will take a look at that as a project :)

Murray

You're welcome. :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:04 pm

Mus wrote:Many thanks for that Sam, much appreciated. Will take a look at that as a project :)

Murray
If you're going to be making a few, and you don't already own one of these, I'd serious recommend £11 of your cash heading that way: https://www.diy.com/departments/corner- ... 804_BQ.prd
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Mus » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:17 pm

blinddrew wrote:

Murray
If you're going to be making a few, and you don't already own one of these, I'd serious recommend £11 of your cash heading that way: https://www.diy.com/departments/corner- ... 804_BQ.prd

Cheers blinddrew will take a look.

Here is how the working end of the room is shaping up. I usually use a laptop with the two external screens but I'm not sure where the monitors e.g. Presonus Eris 3.5s are going to go especially as floor stands seem to be 44cm triangular bases? Bit cramped.

Is there a wall mount for monitors or any other suggestions for organising the space? Not sure I want to drill into the walls too much but we'll see.

Cheers
Murray
Mus
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:36 pm

You could build free standing shelf over the top of the organ and wide enough to fit the monitors (computer) and the monitors (audio). place a back brace below the hight of the organ so it can stabilise the shelf and remove the need for screws into the wall.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Mus » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:38 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:You could build free standing shelf over the top of the organ and wide enough to fit the monitors (computer) and the monitors (audio). place a back brace below the hight of the organ so it can stabilise the shelf and remove the need for screws into the wall.

Cheers Sam, yes, you're right, I'll look into it :)

Thanks
Murray
Mus
Regular

Postby Mus » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:32 pm

Mus wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:You could build free standing shelf over the top of the organ and wide enough to fit the monitors (computer) and the monitors (audio). place a back brace below the hight of the organ so it can stabilise the shelf and remove the need for screws into the wall.

Cheers Sam, yes, you're right, I'll look into it :)

Thanks
Murray

Actually guys, any ideas where to get an off-the-shelf shelf 6ft by 1ft - or one cut to size?

Cheers
M
Mus
Regular

PreviousNext