You are here

Tape machines

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Tape machines

Postby James Perrett » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:01 pm

JRC1 wrote:I started when tape was on its way out and it was adat unless you were in a "fancy" studio.

ADAT's are painfully slow if you are using more than one machine - they can take ages to sync up. While I had a couple of them when I was running a commercial studio, much of our work remained on analogue tape.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby JRC1 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:31 pm

James Perrett wrote:
JRC1 wrote:I started when tape was on its way out and it was adat unless you were in a "fancy" studio.

ADAT's are painfully slow if you are using more than one machine - they can take ages to sync up. While I had a couple of them when I was running a commercial studio, much of our work remained on analogue tape.

I remember that pain and then walking in to a studio that had a 16 channel fostex machine and being amazed at how much quicker we were working.
JRC1
Poster

Postby MOF » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:14 pm

I remember that pain and then walking in to a studio that had a 16 channel fostex machine and being amazed at how much quicker we were working.

If I'd been in that position, I think I would have done a 'Sgt Pepper' and bounced 8 tracks to one on a new tape and carried on that way until mix down.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Previous