You are here

Meditation / Ambient VST's for pads?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Meditation / Ambient VST's for pads?

Postby james090 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:55 pm

Does anyone have any recommendations for good Meditation / Ambient VST's for pads?

Lowpass wide pads, would be good.

I have looked at Native Instruments Straylight, UVI Drone? and Omnisphere, but wondered if there was something i'd missed that was designed specifically for this application?

Thanks!
james090
Regular

Re: Meditation / Ambient VST's for pads?

Postby blinddrew » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:22 pm

As mentioned on another thread, it's worth checking out the free Spitfire LABS collection; lots of tasty stuff in there.

EDIT: This thread in fact: https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 23&t=75973
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby The Elf » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:33 pm

Think less about finding an instrument that gives instant results, and try creating something unique from your own hands. Slowing down sounds is always a good trick for creating pads - record yourself singing, or humming and manipulate it to get something interesting. Scrape pans, run your hands over a cardboard box, roll a marble over some wood... Anything!

Infinte reverbs are also a good trick. Throw almost anything into a super-long reverb and hear as it catches up from chord to chord. Record sections of long reverbs and cross-fade them to get chords that change on cue.

And if I knew you were using Cubase I'd also suggest putting these sounds into Padshop, That synth is incredible for creating ever-changing pads.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Arpangel » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:13 pm

I can give you what I consider to be "one" of the best ambient/spacey/BIG sounding instant solutions to your requirements.

Reaktor Sub-Harmonic.

Cold desolate, think Russian winters, vast seascapes, infinite Mid West grain fields, Canadian skyscapes.
Or just something to invoke space, mystery, and just beautiful sounds.
And, it’s not even hardware.....uh-oh.....

:think: :( :)
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:45 pm

Arpangel wrote:I can give you what I consider to be "one" of the best ambient/spacey/BIG sounding instant solutions to your requirements.

Reaktor Sub-Harmonic.

Cold desolate, think Russian winters, vast seascapes, infinite Mid West grain fields, Canadian skyscapes.

Hi Tony!

Well that preset name rang a bell for me, and my little bell was correct - I created a short improv demo using SubHarmonic during my July 2005 SOS review of Reaktor 5, and the sounds are exactly as you describe.

I've just put the short 1:10 demo on my web site if anyone wants to listen and conjure up those bleak SubHarmonic landscapes: http://www.yewtreemagic.co.uk/Temp/MW%20SubHarmonic.wav

Here's my review of Reaktor 5 itself: https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/ni-reaktor-5

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby blinddrew » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:01 pm

Thanks for sharing that Martin, I concur! :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby james090 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:20 am

Arpangel wrote:I can give you what I consider to be "one" of the best ambient/spacey/BIG sounding instant solutions to your requirements.

Reaktor Sub-Harmonic.

Great thank you! Is this a free Reaktor patch in the library? or is it a paid VST?
There's quite a few user patches with that similar name..

Do you have a link?
james090
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:53 am

james090 wrote:

Reaktor Sub-Harmonic.

Great thank you! Is this a free Reaktor patch in the library? or is it a paid VST?
There's quite a few user patches with that similar name..

Do you have a link?

Hi, Sub-Harmonic comes with Reaktor, it’s a built in synth, if you scroll through the patches you’ll immediately get the character of it, I’m not in my studio now, but I’ve got a bank of my own favourites, I’ll post them later.
Martin! Yes, isn’t it just like this! it’s a beautiful thing, one of my favourite soft-synths.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster