You are here

Recording synth in stereo

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Recording synth in stereo

Postby euanatkinson » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:38 pm

trying to record my minilogue into cubase.

I'm using a Focusrite Scarlett interface and have two leads running from left and right outputs of the synth into the Scarlett.

now, when I'm playing the synth through Focusrite control (dedicated software for the interface), it pairs the left and right and colours the sound very nicely. It's a perfect iteration as if I were listening through the synth headphone output. When I'm playing through audio tracks on Cubase, the sound is not quite as accurate, it's subtly more stereo

I have two audio tracks and have selected left stereo in and right stereo in on the two tracks respectively and then panned them hard left and right.

It sounds good, and the difference wouldn't be distinguishable to most people, but it seems to slightly too wide and has lost some subtle high end, and I find it hard to connect to the sound as I would when listening through the headphone output. Could it be due to the hard panning left and right? and if so, is there a way round it? I'm finding if I use multiple synths panned hard left and right, the mix sounds way too wide.

any help appreciated!
euanatkinson

Re: Recording synth in stereo

Postby Luke W » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:09 pm

euanatkinson wrote:It sounds good, and the difference wouldn't be distinguishable to most people, but it seems to slightly too wide and has lost some subtle high end, and I find it hard to connect to the sound as I would when listening through the headphone output. Could it be due to the hard panning left and right? and if so, is there a way round it? I'm finding if I use multiple synths panned hard left and right, the mix sounds way too wide.

Welcome :thumbup:

It's been quite a while since I've used the Focusrite software so I don't know exactly what it does by default when pairing channels, but it sounds like there's a difference in how the channels are panned there compared to their equivalents in Cubase.

If it's a case of it sounding too wide once it's recorded into Cubase then try panning each channel back towards the centre until you get back to the sound you like.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby BJG145 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:12 pm

Hang on a minute, there really isn't any ambiguity about what stereo is. It's two separate channels. If the audio interface is affecting the sound, that's not good.

Examples?
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:33 pm

Could this be a direct/indirect monitoring problem?

I wonder if the OP's complaint is of the sound created when the direct sound from the synth is being (accidentally) mixed with the delayed sound via Cubase's monitoring outputs back through the interface.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby Luke W » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:52 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Could this be a direct/indirect monitoring problem?

I wonder if the OP's complaint is of the sound created when the direct sound from the synth is being (accidentally) mixed with the delayed sound via Cubase's monitoring outputs back through the interface.

That's a good call. I was assuming the difference was being heard when the tracks were being played back after recording, but reading it again I've noticed the "playing through" wording.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby adrian_k » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:26 pm

Could it be something to do with the pan law setting in Cubase?
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
getting better all the time..

Postby adamburgess » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:20 pm

My Minilogue is mono... Never used the headphone out, but it will just be dual mono.
adamburgess
New here

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:07 pm

The Minilogue XD has left/mono and right stereo outputs, presumably to reproduce the digital fx processing. Since the OP says he is connecting the left and right outputs I'm assuming he has a Minilogue XD.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........