You are here

Audix i5 for the bare budget win

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Audix i5 for the bare budget win

Postby MadManDan » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:59 am

Hi all,

Friend of mine is a talented female singer with an alto range. We’re putting together a bare bones daw for her and she unfortunately can only budget $250-ish for the microphone.

A condenser at that price would be garbage. I’m thinking an audix i5 with a cloud lifter. Actually hits the price point. Bang for buck aside, I also like dynamics for her because she may have acoustic challenges in her space, which a condenser, especially a cheap one, would really magnify.

I also did advocate, for another $300, going with a Shure SM7b instead.

MadManDan
MadManDan
Frequent Poster

Late '14 mini 3 GHz i7 16 GB
Catalina 10.15.7. Glyph atomic. FF Scarlet 18i8. 
Sup Drum 3. Cubase 11 Pro
iCon iKb 8x.  Mics, spkrs, 'phones, gtrs, greedy cat

Re: Audix i5 for the bare budget win

Postby Arpangel » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:21 am

There are condensers at that price, or much cheaper, that definitely aren’t "garbage"
The Audio Technica 2020, and Neat King Bee and Worker Bee come to mind, these punch well above their price point.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Aled Hughes » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:25 am

Agree with Tony that there are decent condensers to be had for £250.

Also, it’s a bit of a myth that dynamics are better in poor rooms. It’s distance from mic and polar pattern that has an effect on this. Merely being a dynamic doesn’t mean the mic differentiates between wanted and unwanted sound any more than a condenser.

If you want a dynamic, a Beyer M88 or M201 comes in around the budget and are great mics for most sources (but use a pop shield for vocals). I prefer them to the SM7 on most things.
Aled Hughes
Frequent Poster
www.stiwdiosain.cymru

Postby The Elf » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:30 am

The i5 is a decent enough mic. I've used one on vocals many times with good results. I generally prefer small dynamic mic's on female vocals, rather than large diaphragm condensors.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Arpangel » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:40 am

Ramirez wrote:If you want a dynamic, a Beyer M88 or M201 comes in around the budget and are great mics for most sources (but use a pop shield for vocals). I prefer them to the SM7 on most things.

Very true, I have both the M88 and 201, and I’m always surprised, especially with the 88, how clean and nice they are, I too would choose these above an SM7, which sounds slightly edgy to me, plus the "lower" output issue.
The 201 is a great mic, very versatile, for the price you can’t go wrong.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:18 am

"Also, it’s a bit of a myth that dynamics are better in poor rooms. It’s distance from mic and polar pattern that has an effect on this. Merely being a dynamic doesn’t mean the mic differentiates between wanted and unwanted sound any more than a condenser."

Totally agree Ramirez. If you take a typical dynamic as having a sensitivity of -57dBV/Pa and bolt on a Cloudlifter or similar you end up at around -32dBV/Pa or about the sensitivity of a moderately 'hot' capacitor!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:49 am

ef37a wrote:"Also, it’s a bit of a myth that dynamics are better in poor rooms. It’s distance from mic and polar pattern that has an effect on this. Merely being a dynamic doesn’t mean the mic differentiates between wanted and unwanted sound any more than a condenser."

Ohhh yes! Finally someone saying it! For some reason I've heard that nonsense so many times in the last couple weeks that I was getting tired to be the only party pooper always saying "ok, but.." :lol:
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby blinddrew » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:53 am

I'd also suggest considering an Aston Stealth. I've found mine to have very good off-axis rejection so if that's a requirement definitely add it to the short list.
I haven't had chance to try it yet but I think the Dark mode might work very nicely on female vocals.

Should just scrape in the budget if you look around.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ef37a » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:24 am

CS70 wrote:
ef37a wrote:"Also, it’s a bit of a myth that dynamics are better in poor rooms. It’s distance from mic and polar pattern that has an effect on this. Merely being a dynamic doesn’t mean the mic differentiates between wanted and unwanted sound any more than a condenser."

Ohhh yes! Finally someone saying it! For some reason I've heard that nonsense so many times in the last couple weeks that I was getting tired to be the only party pooper always saying "ok, but.." :lol:

To be fair CS70, 'twas Ramirez said that originally but yes I have been battling this myth for years. Peeps go from the ubiquitous '57/58 to a LDC and think "fork!" this thing picks up ALL the ***t in creation!" They don't do the numbers.

Microphones are as dumb as soup, they cannot discriminate as our ear/brain complex does.

May be moot? I received a Fet Head about a month ago but the holiday and other 'Life***t' has meant I have done little with it bar confirm it works. Gimme another month?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:55 pm

ef37a wrote:
CS70 wrote:

To be fair CS70, 'twas Ramirez said that originally

Even better! The more the merrier.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:52 pm

I've been shot down in flames for espousing this elsewhere, it's good to hear common sense and good basic science being applied. :clap: :clap: :clap:

The only ways a cardioid small diaphragm capacitor differs from a cardioid dynamic are sensitivity (negated by different gain settings) and frequency response. Differering off axis frequency responses will colour the room sound so that one may be more obvious than the other but that is not intrinsically a capacitor vs dynamic mic issue.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........