You are here

which xlr adapter for akg 411 l

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

which xlr adapter for akg 411 l

Postby pingalep » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:32 pm

hi everyone! first post in this place of the internet i read as guide for so many months.
hope you'll understand my english cause i am italian native speaking, i gladly accept corections or further questions if you don't understand what i write :headbang:

i cannot clear my mind about this mic, the akg 411 l, version with mini xlr plug.
on the product page is said to work with 9-52v phantom, so i was planning to buy a passive adapter from mini male xlr to xlr male, and connect to my mixpre(field recorder with 4 phantom power xlr input). but reading online i found out that an active xlr adapter is needed to lower current voltage. reason should be that the capsule is an electret that needs lower current than non electret capsules.

i asked thomann and they linked me an active adapter as the one needed.
i asked sound devices team and they suggested the passive adapter should work just fine based on the spec sheet.

in the meanwhile while browsing the web i found out a lot of mics for instruments that need an adapter, all of them terminated with mini xlr but with two different standard, akg or shure.

am i wrong if i assume that these mini xlr are a different standard than standard size xlr relating to power specs?

i found out that a lot of these mics are based on electret capsules quite simple circuit boards, so i am planning to build some by myself. i cannot understand how an electret capsule can be used as a contact pickup microphone, can you suggest a link or a book where to find an explanation? wil try to build some lom usi or line audio cm4 alike mics in the meanwhile, are there any better option than pimo electret capsules i can easily buy from italy?

sorry for all these questions all together, i can split them in different threads, i will look for answer on the foru in the meanwhile. thank you for your attention and kind regards!
pingalep
New here

Re: which xlr adapter for akg 411 l

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:46 pm

pingalep wrote:hi everyone! first post in this place of the internet i read as guide for so many months.

Welcome to the SOS forums!

i cannot clear my mind about this mic, the akg 411 l, version with mini xlr plug.
on the product page is said to work with 9-52v phantom

No. Only the PP version can be connected directly to balanced phantom power sources.

The L version you have needs to be powered from an adapter stuffed full with electronics called the MPA-V-L. That has a full-size XLR plug at one end which goes into the phantom-powered preamp input, and a mini XLR socket at the other end which you plug your mic into.

The adapter converts the balanced phantom power down to a low-voltage unbalanced source to power the electret capsule, as well as converting the capsule output to drive the balanced line.

am i wrong if i assume that these mini xlr are a different standard than standard size xlr relating to power specs?

Mini XLRs are just a convenient connector for small mics... but there is no standard as far as powering for different types of mic is concerned.

There is a real risk of destroying your mic if you power it in the wrong way... so I'd just get the correct adapter -- AKG MPA-V-L.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: which xlr adapter for akg 411 l

Postby pingalep » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:25 pm

thank you!
i think i will try some diy solutions before buying the akg one.
pingalep
New here