You are here

Recommend a cheap USB webcam for mac please!

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Recommend a cheap USB webcam for mac please!

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:55 pm

Since I moved to a mac mini I no longer have a built in webcam, so for Skyping, Facetiming etc I have to borrow Lady Longjohns's iPad. So can anyone recommend a cheap and cheerful webcam for Mac OS that plugs into USB with the minimum of fuss. I guess it would be useful to have a built in mic too, save having to go through my whole interface etc? Or is that easy to set up with Skype etc?

Are the 1080 webcams for £20 on eBay utterly rubbish or will they do the job?

Cheers! :thumbup:
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Re: Recommend a cheap USB webcam for mac please!

Postby Zukan » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:46 am

I use a Logitech HD cam but one of my students has a cheapo Amazon affair and it's actually quite good. I'll find out which cam he has and get back to you.
Zukan

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:14 am

Cheers, thanks for that!
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby CS70 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:35 am

If you have an iPhone, you can also use Elgato's epocCam - I use it all the time, using a small phone stand and it works perfectly.

I use it with audio thru the computer, so it's also an effective way of improvising a good (audio) quality live stream when I don't feel like hooking up the proper camera and capture card!
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:18 am

I was looking around for webcams and gave up in a sea of misinformation and uncertainty. Then, I decided I really did need something better than the built-in one on my laptop and grabbed one of these as a stop-gap:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B086QTK3NL

It's 23 quid, is pretty good and has a built-in mic too. It's no longer a stop-gap; it does the job just fine. I use it for video on the SOS meets (though I don't use the mic as I've got it mounted some distance away from me) and find it perfect for daily use.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The SOS Forum Album projects

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:17 pm

Excellent, thanks everyone! :D
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby garrettendi » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:09 pm

I might be a tad late but I'd read the reviews of the cheap webcams on Amazon.

I had one to use for Teams while working from home, and it had a very obvious fishbowl effect, and in poor lighting, the whole image had a disgusting orange hue.

I used this webcam several times in the Virtual SOSMeets so someone else might be able to weigh in on how bad my appearance was!
garrettendi
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby Folderol » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:32 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:I was looking around for webcams and gave up in a sea of misinformation and uncertainty. Then, I decided I really did need something better than the built-in one on my laptop and grabbed one of these as a stop-gap:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B086QTK3NL

It's 23 quid, is pretty good and has a built-in mic too. It's no longer a stop-gap; it does the job just fine. I use it for video on the SOS meets (though I don't use the mic as I've got it mounted some distance away from me) and find it perfect for daily use.
But does it work on Linux - always notably missing from adverts :(
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:35 pm

I'm assuming these don't need any additional software/drivers etc to work with Mac OS Catalina?
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:03 pm

Just a tuppence to lob in, before the buy button is bashed, a lot of the cheap webcams will do a reasonable job of pictures, but the microphones are pretty lousy.
I'm assuming that won't be an issue for any of our regular contributors... ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby garrettendi » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:09 pm

blinddrew wrote:Just a tuppence to lob in, before the buy button is bashed, a lot of the cheap webcams will do a reasonable job of pictures, but the microphones are pretty lousy.
I'm assuming that won't be an issue for any of our regular contributors... ;)

Judging by the lack of musical quality of some of our regulars *cough*me*cough*, poor quality mics may be a blessing to the others...
garrettendi
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:24 pm

Just a tuppence to lob in, before the buy button is bashed, a lot of the cheap webcams will do a reasonable job of pictures, but the microphones are pretty lousy

My needs are very non-critical in either picture or sound quality. Just need a camera to do some lockdown chat. In any case, I've always looked better in soft focus (or audio only, ideally).
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Folderol » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:26 pm

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:I'm assuming these don't need any additional software/drivers etc to work with Mac OS Catalina?
Hmmm, but does anyone actually know?
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:29 pm

The blurb says it's plug and play AND it works on Linux (whatever that is :lol:)
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:01 pm

I've only used it on Windows (and it 'just worked'). I don't have Catalina I'm afraid so can't say either way on that although it seems to be a class compliant device. I plugged it into Yoshimi-Pi but I couldn't find any webcam software on there to test it with. Any recommendations Will?

Here is a (jump into) a youtube video showing the picture and sound. For £23 I'm more than happy with the image quality.

The video mentions an external mic but the webcam doesn't have a mic input; he must be using a separate microphone altogether, which is what I do of course.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The SOS Forum Album projects

Next