You are here

Faderbox with motor fader for Logic?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Faderbox with motor fader for Logic?

Postby rikki rivett » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:09 pm

I once had a Mackie 8-ch controller, fabulous piece of kit, but didn't really need 8 channels- I was very fond of the single channel Alphatrack (Frontier Designs) I replaced it with

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/frontier-design-alphatrack

....but so far didn't get it working lately.

Any recommendations for a simple motor fader controller which integrates well with current Logic /Mac OS versions?

Thanks!!

RR
rikki rivett
Poster

Re: Faderbox with motor fader for Logic?

Postby blinddrew » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:16 pm

Might be worth looking into this as an option: https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0CAP
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:32 pm

Actually that looks really interesting. I've got an MCU on my main computer and I'm not giving that up but one of these for the laptop and my wife's machine (she's recently started dabbling in Logic) looks eminently cost effective. Cheers.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
International Mercurial Man of Mystery.

Postby rikki rivett » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:45 pm

Seems Presonus' Faderport Classic still works with Logic, there's also a version 2 of it on the market which looks pretty.

Thanks for the Behringer X-Touch One suggestion- but the construction seems rather shoddy by reports, and I dont need all those little buttons & a jog wheel ...

cheers
RR
rikki rivett
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:12 pm

If the construction is similar to the X32 (which I'd guess it is) I wouldn't describe it as shoddy, sure it's not a Digico but the X32 is solid and IMO well built. There are still a lot of 'pro's' who expect $20,000 build quality from a $2,000 mixer and so slag off the X32 range but there are enough X32's out there that if reliability or dodgy build was an issue we'd know.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby MarkOne » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:25 pm

I use the Icon QCon Pro G2 and love it. When I use the MacBook on its own out of the studio I really miss it and don't think I would ever go back to mouse and keyboard only.
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Debut Album 'Fantasy Bridge' available now!

Postby rikki rivett » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:01 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:If the construction is similar to the X32 (which I'd guess it is) I wouldn't describe it as shoddy, sure it's not a Digico but the X32 is solid and IMO well built. There are still a lot of 'pro's' who expect $20,000 build quality from a $2,000 mixer and so slag off the X32 range but there are enough X32's out there that if reliability or dodgy build was an issue we'd know.

Sam, perhaps I was being a bit hasty...just read a couple of reviews where people had checked out returned stock ....however, the Behringer gear I’ve had is generally a bit less sturdy than some...

The Faderport is similarly priced so worth comparing
rikki rivett
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:56 pm

As I said they ain't Digico but the recent stuff I've bought* has been solidly built and reliable (so far). They have built some seriously bad stuff in the past (I believe they still sell the appalling DI20, possibly the worst DI box [clarkson-voice]in the world[/clarkson-voice]) so it's worth reading the reviews.

* X32 Compact, X32 Rack, XR12, Model D. I also have an old BCF2000 which, while it's not what I'd call 'refined', is built like a concrete khazi...
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:23 pm

rikki rivett wrote:Thanks for the Behringer X-Touch One suggestion- but the construction seems rather shoddy by reports, and I dont need all those little buttons & a jog wheel ...

It's all those little buttons and the jog wheel that make it attractive to me. They're directly compatible to what I'm used to on the MCU and if you've not scrubbed using a jog wheel you're really missing out. The reviews I've seen suggest decent construction, but who knows really until you get your hands on one.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
International Mercurial Man of Mystery.

Postby MOF » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:29 pm

Have you thought about using Logic Remote on an iPhone or iPad instead?
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby N i g e l » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:34 am

rikki rivett wrote:Seems Presonus' Faderport Classic still works with Logic, there's also a version 2 of it on the market which looks pretty.
RR

I have the faderport classic but use it with cakewalk so I dont know about logic.
Solid piece of kit [and quite cheap on ebay] but do your research.
I think it is no longer supported on w10 since last year but I think its a generic surface anyway. [cakewalk needs an extra daw definition file which I have]

Before the DAW file was avbailable for cakewalk, there was an indie app - AZslow - whichwould translate the codes in a customizable fashion.

I dont know how much of this is applicable to Logic.

The faderport works off USB unless you want to use the motorised fader [PSU required > 1A ! ]

{edit}

UPDATE: July 7, 2020
Universal Control 3.3.0.59348 will display the current installed version of firmware, however the firmware update utility has been discontinued.
The last supported release that includes firmware update is Universal Control v3.2.1.57677 released on April 14, 2020.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Firmware update is now part of Universal Control as of version 2.8.0.48221 released on July 10, 2018 available from the download page for FaderPort Classic.
Support for FaderPort Classic is already provided when you launch Studio One, no need to install anything.
Support for other DAWs is provided in a variety of ways.
- FaderPort Classic has native support for Cubase, Logic, Sonar through a FaderPort Classic DAW Profile installer which is also available from the download page for FaderPort Classic.
- HUI Mode for Pro Tools (or any other DAW that supports HUI)
- Mackie Control Mode for Ableton Live (or any other DAW that supports Mackie Control)
- Other DAWs have Native support provided by those companies who have developed their own solution, some of which include: Reaper, Magix (Samplitude, Sequoia), Harrison MixBus, Ardour, Adobe Audition, Renoise.

- We also publish the SDK (albeit unsupported) for the FaderPort Classic should you want to create your own custom control profile for any DAW not listed that does not support HUI or Mackie Control.
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Try PreSonus ioStation 24C ?

Postby Forum Admin » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:56 pm

PreSonus FaderPort classic owner/user here (bought s'hand 5 years ago for £75 -- utter bargain!). The MkII is much nicer - no button clicks and soft illuminated buttons. I use a FP8 so no incentive to upgrade (yet) from the original Faderport.

If you need a couple of decent preamps as well, try the ioStation 24C perhaps. It's USB-C instead of USB-A connector/protocol so maybe not so ubiquitous but if you have C-type USB already on your computer, might be worth a look?

See SOS video

FP1 does work with Logic by the way. As does FP2.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 12,352 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search

Postby The Coastal Path » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:57 pm

I use the Behringer single fader. Seems well made to me, integrates well with Logic and is excellent value IMO.
The Coastal Path
Regular
The Coastal Path