You are here

New Tannoys?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

New Tannoys?

Postby Arpangel » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:30 pm

https://www.andertons.co.uk/tannoy-gold-8-studio-monitor-000-c2c01-00010?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=surfaces&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInZqC3sOb7gIV4ejtCh2ryQC8EAQYASABEgIP0fD_BwE

ef37a, I saw these and thought of you, they look interesting, but how they compare with the older dual concentrics I don’t know, the price is a bit on the low side I would have thought, to be a real contender.

:think: :think: :think:
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: New Tannoys?

Postby DGL. » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:01 pm

That price is per speaker so £428 for a pair but that is still cheap for a pair of 8" Tannoy's, it is a MT product and they don't ever seem to overcharge.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:46 pm

Ah, those gold circles bring back some happy memories. I could never afford 'em for myself...
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby James Perrett » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:56 pm

I've been wondering about taking a punt on a pair. I love my big Tannoys because they're so good at unpicking a mix. I just wonder whether that same quality will extend to these cheaper versions.

The big problem is that I can't find any trustworthy reviews.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Arpangel » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:02 pm

James Perrett wrote:I've been wondering about taking a punt on a pair. I love my big Tannoys because they're so good at unpicking a mix. I just wonder whether that same quality will extend to these cheaper versions.

The big problem is that I can't find any trustworthy reviews.

I’m tempted too James, but I’m worried they just won’t cut it against my old Tannoys.
And yes, there are some really dodgy videos on YouTube.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:21 pm

James Perrett wrote:The big problem is that I can't find any trustworthy reviews.

I'm not sure you will here either. Tannoy are part of Uli's Music Group and they are often reluctant to let us review their products.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby Arpangel » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:58 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
James Perrett wrote:The big problem is that I can't find any trustworthy reviews.

I'm not sure you will here either. Tannoy are part of Uli's Music Group and they are often reluctant to let us review their products.

That’s very interesting Hugh, I wasn’t aware of that.
Are they scared of an honest review? surely not, as their things are very good these days, and good reviews can boost sales.
There are those in favour and those against, all over the music media, either are not exclusive to SOS.
These Tannoys are not 100% for me at the moment, the drivers look like the ones from the DMT series, but I’m sure they’re not. The price, lack of reviews, definitly not sure.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Zukan » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:02 am

The Elf wrote:Ah, those gold circles bring back some happy memories. I could never afford 'em for myself...

We had Golds and Reds at Gateway. Yep, brings back memories....
Zukan

Postby Arpangel » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:46 pm

Zukan wrote:
The Elf wrote:Ah, those gold circles bring back some happy memories. I could never afford 'em for myself...

We had Golds and Reds at Gateway. Yep, brings back memories....

Yes, great stereo imaging, the best ever, but those Reds were a bit dull sounding?

:think:
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby N i g e l » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:26 pm

Arpangel wrote:
Hugh Robjohns wrote:

That’s very interesting Hugh, I wasn’t aware of that.

That is interesting indeed and strange. Is there a trend to put stuff out to beta testers who can then put review video up on youtube ?
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:15 pm

N i g e l wrote:Is there a trend to put stuff out to beta testers who can then put review video up on youtube ?

I certainly get the impression that Uli prefers to rely upon the marketing value of videos from online promoters, yes.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:54 pm

He seems to be a strange mix of benign dictator and petulant child the way he'll one day give very articulate and reasonable explanations and the next he'll spit his dummy over something apparently trivial. I'd like to believe the company business practices had turned a corner a few years ago when they moved to China but then something happens to suggest the old ways still hold sway...

Whichever is true most of their recent products seem to punch well above their weight.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Arpangel » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:12 am

Sam Spoons wrote:He seems to be a strange mix of benign dictator and petulant child the way he'll one day give very articulate and reasonable explanations and the next he'll spit his dummy over something apparently trivial. I'd like to believe the company business practices had turned a corner a few years ago when they moved to China but then something happens to suggest the old ways still hold sway...

Whichever is true most of their recent products seem to punch well above their weight.

Behringer products are good "for what they are" but some folks have a tendency to get carried away saying that the Behringer X is as good if not better than a rivals product X and it’s also cheaper, not true, Behringer products are good "for the money" but there are people out there that appreciate a superior product that better suits their needs, at a higher price point.
Behringer can come across sometimes as a bit smug, arrogant, the arrogance is founded, on the ability to make something that is good for the money, but it’s not founded on making something that’s a standard of excellence, or an original pioneering design.
The Behringer dummy gets thrown sometimes, they become defensive for reasons that basically they can’t uphold, and the way they did business in the past, will be difficult to put aside, if they are to be held in high regard in the future.
I don’t want to turn this into a Behringer bash, I think, I’m just seeing things like most Behringer product owners, we bought the stuff because it does the job, and we didn’t want to spend more on that particular item, but we are fully aware of its place in the market, and that there are much better products out there if you can justify the outlay in your particular situation.
I'll probably buy other items from Behringer, they are very difficult to ignore sometimes, and I buy them in situations where I can get away with maybe spending a bit less than I normally would on other things.
The Behringer brand has literally taken over their end of the market, it’s the de-facto choice, it’s difficult to imagine a world without them now.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster