You are here

C414B-XLS has different front and back sound in figure 8

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

C414B-XLS has different front and back sound in figure 8

Postby SuperMasita » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:53 pm

Hi!

Today I bought a second hand C414B-XLS, with the intention of using mainly as a cardiod but also as S for M/S.

The mic sounds great, but I've noticed that (when set to figure 8) the back of the mic sound less bright (a dip around 4KHz). I would expect that this could have been the case maybe for a ribbon mic, but I was not expecting this from a 414, and I haven't noticed this before when working with them (TBH, I've have never tested them either, and probably a difference in the side I would have attributed to the source/ambience).

The first time I noticed this was when recording some voice from each side. Two avoid possible differences in distances or just changes in my voice, I tested with some speakers and pink noise and pure tones; the difference is there.

I was wondering if anybody is aware of any known difference between front and back, or has experienced. I am trying to understand if maybe there is a problem with the mic or not.

Thanks!
SuperMasita

Re: C414B-XLS has different front and back sound in figure 8

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:06 pm

It should be symmetrical front and back, so I'd say it has a problem, either with one side of the capsule or, probably more likely, with part of the electronics handling one capsule output.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby SuperMasita » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:20 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:It should be symmetrical front and back, so I'd say it has a problem, either with one side of the capsule or, probably more likely, with part of the electronics handling one capsule output.

Thanks, Hugh! I've reached the same conclusion: there is something wrong with the microphone.

Some folks pointed out that, if the issue was the capsule, the culprit could be moisture/humidity. Does this sound like a possibilty? If so, anyone is aware of a way to "dry" the capsule?
SuperMasita

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:48 pm

Moisture usually results in obvious noise -- frying bacon sounds -- rather than a reduced sensitivity or brightness! So I doubt it is a moisture problem.

Nevertheless, it can be dried out by placing the mic inside something like a large freezer bag (leave the bag open -- it's just to minimise dust falling on the mic) and then placing it in a warm airing cupboard (or similar) for a day or two.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual...