You are here

Is there an audio interface with (also) usb AUDIO inputs?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Is there an audio interface with (also) usb AUDIO inputs?

Postby James Perrett » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:05 pm

merlyn wrote:
James Perrett wrote:
N i g e l wrote:Its a PC software problem, which will eventually be fixed, given time.

Don't hold your breath - it is a long standing problem with ASIO drivers.

It's not an ASIO problem. If that was the case it's also a WDM, WASAPI, Direct Sound and any other driver problem.

I'm fairly sure that in the early PC DAW days (twenty years ago or more) there were programs that could use more than one interface for recording simultaneously using either the WDM or Direct X drivers. Possibly Cakewalk Pro Audio?
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:59 pm

Why are you telling me hacky is not an engineering term? I never said it was. That's a classic meme/ pic you've posted there but it's way off the point.

I mentioned Mac and posted that link because you made some incorrect assertions about how it syncs word clock.

I was not the only one, not the first, mention ASIO4ALL, or share that video.

That video is not simply a guide to ASIO4all. It shows how to aggregate devices in Windows, and shows the caveats also.

As I said already, I was not the only one who mentioned resampling as an issue/ compromise.

It is possible that the compromises involved might work for the OP.

I'm not sure that explaining how it cannot be done helps the OP, although it would be very interesting to hear about the engineering involved.
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

Postby N i g e l » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:27 pm

I think when I have time, I will have to do some experimentation.
I think i have an advantage in that I will only be using 1 interface at a time (swapping every 5 minutes] so I dont think the synchronisation of clocks is too important to me.

What James says about Cakewalk rings a bell. I think I may have used my audio inteface along with PC audio in the past. Cakewalk still has the selection boxes for
PLAYBACK TIMING MASTER channel and
RECORDING TIMING MASTER Channel.

The Elf wrote:I've got a few bits of kit that can provide separate outputs over USB. It's of little value.

that cant be correct, if I may quote from a well known magazine [page 96]

" Korg op6
CONS:There's no audio over USB "

;)
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:02 pm

N i g e l wrote:
The Elf wrote:I've got a few bits of kit that can provide separate outputs over USB. It's of little value.
that cant be correct, if I may quote from a well known magazine [page 96]
" Korg op6
CONS:There's no audio over USB "
:D
If anyone's system is simple enough to switch interfaces at will I suppose it may be useful. The scorched earth when I tried to temporarily swap to my TR-8S to transfer some drum patterns was devastating enough that I won't be repeating the experience! :headbang:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:03 pm

Sorry my last post was in response to @CS70. There was far too much to quote so I left it out.
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:45 pm

Tomás Mulcahy wrote:...

:headbang:

Life's too short! Thanks for the laugh.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:29 pm

Well that’s a shame. I would’ve expected better.
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:02 pm

merlyn wrote:
James Perrett wrote:
N i g e l wrote:If someone wants to try Potato and report their findings that would be useful data -- Windows may already be some way towards a solution :

https://vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/potato.htm
Looks interesting. Says it will run 3 ASIO devices, with a "Physical Output Synchronization Delay in system settings dialog box." Haven't got a WIN partition on my machine right now though. Would be cool if someone here could try it yes!
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

Postby Dniss » Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:21 pm

James Perrett wrote:The biggest problem with running multiple interfaces simultaneously is clocking. You need to make sure that they are all sampling at the same rate and synchronised to each other. Alternatively you need some way of doing a sample rate conversion in real time. It might be possible to design some kind of USB audio hub but it wouldn't be easy to do things properly.

I understand that ASIO4All attempts this but I don't think it can do any form of sample rate conversion so you need everything in sync to start with in order to avoid glitches.

Hi James!

I have the 18i20, I believe I can plug a second one into it using ADAT and sync the clock. At least, I hope so. That's how I understood it.
Dniss
Poster

Postby James Perrett » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:39 pm

Yes - you can use another A/D convertor with ADAT output with the 18i20.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby manwilde » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:32 pm

As I stated on an earlier post, I´m very interested in testing those Voicemeeter apps on a friend´s setup. He´s got an old POD ASIO interface that he wants to use as a guitar fx into his new MOTU. That seems to be the solution.
So far Covid has prevented me from going over my friend´s, but I´ll keep you posted as soon as I´m able to try the thing.
manwilde
Regular

Postby resistorman » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:44 am

I was hoping to use the voicemeeter apps to simultaneously use my Tascam Model 12 (synths etc.) with the PC audio (mic input and headphone out for my headset) for zoom meetings but it didn’t work. Ultimately, I bought an adapter for my headset that allowed it to run off phantom power and into the Model 12, and used its headphone amp. I think just having multiple ins and outs on one interface is the way to go with PCs, everything else I’ve tried has been a big PITA.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:38 am

Yeah I think it was this Voicemeter that someone claimed was working in a past thread.
No surprise it doesn't work always, for the reasons I described above. Without hardware word clock, it's a bit hit and miss-.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Previous