You are here

Mic Preamp Choice - SPL Pro Mike or MOTU 1248 Built-in?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Mic Preamp Choice - SPL Pro Mike or MOTU 1248 Built-in?

Postby Oliver Hall » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:25 pm

Hi,
I'm hoping to get some "guru" advice on what I expect is an unusual question, and one answer might be "test and make up your own mind" but I'd prefer a more quantitative that qualitative answer if possible. I'm not equipped (technically) to compare specs, but I also don't want to ditch potentially good gear through ignorance!

I'm upgrading from a MOTU 828 Mkii audio interface which I've been using for years with an SPL Pro Mike 2 channel pre-amp.

Is it worth me continuing to use the SPL Pro Mike (my understanding was it's a decent pre-amp) or am I just as well using the MOTU 1248 built-in preamps which are presumably 2-decades+ more "evolved" in terms of audio fidelity know-how (though not necessarily in quality!)

For various reasons (excess gear, possible resale of older kit, more knobs=>more potential problems) I'd prefer to go with the simplest set-up, which would be the MOTU built-in preamps, but if there's an appreciable benefit in using the SPL, I'll stick with it.

When the MOTU arrives, I'll do an A-B test and use that in my decision, but any additional input from pre-amp yodas would be appreciated.

Many thanks,
Oliver
Oliver Hall

Re: Mic Preamp Choice - SPL Pro Mike or MOTU 1248 Built-in?

Postby blinddrew » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:14 pm

Welcome to the forum Oliver.
I couldn't find easily comparable specs for the mic pre part of the 1248 vs the Pro Mike but I'd be amazed if they were poorer in any measurable way.
If there's a specific 'colour' that you like from the Pro Mike then keep using it but otherwise I'd expect the Motu will do everything you need.
But as you say, try it any see. ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:20 pm

The SPL box can I troduce some nice colour, if thats useful. The motu would keep things simple... personally I'd keep the SPL for its added versatility.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby James Perrett » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:23 pm

Mic preamp technology has been pushing at the boundaries of the laws of physics for a few decades now so you won't find much improvement in newer preamps if we are comparing well designed units. The MOTU and SPL should both come into that category although MOTU don't give any proper specs for the mic preamps in your new unit on their website.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Oliver Hall » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:00 pm

Thanks guys - that's perfect. I'll do some comparisons when the MOTU 1248 arrives (hopefully on Tuesday!) and see if my ears can detect the difference ;)

Your answers are just what I was after. :thumbup:
Oliver Hall