You are here

Sampler / looper / sound-manipulator

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Sampler / looper / sound-manipulator

Postby Danaroolaroola » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:15 pm

Please can anyone recommend a piece of equipment which can record, loop and manipulate sound (add reverb etc.)? I've been looking at the Boss RC 202 and it looks very good - is there anything else like it, perhaps even something portable, and/or with built-in mic / speakers, for no more than about £300? (The 505 looks very good too but it's too pricey for me.) I'd like a standalone unit, rather than something that requires me to use a computer. Thankyou!
Danaroolaroola
Dan

Re: Sampler / looper / sound-manipulator

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:25 pm

You don't want much do you :D

I guess the Akai MCP One is the closest thing that springs to mind but it's nearly double your budget. For £300 I'd be looking at a used iPad and a suitable app.

Welcome to the forum...
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby adrian_k » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:27 pm

Hi, there’s a few 505s on eBay at the moment (assuming you are in the UK), you might get one for your budget.

I’d get one if I had the spare £, based on what this chap is doing: https://youtu.be/nvIGCMhjkvw
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
getting better all the time..

Postby The Elf » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:34 pm

The RC-505 is a very versatile machine. I use mine for synth improvs. I can't vouch for the quality of its effects, as I think they are very basic (and I don't use them, TBH), but probably about the same as the 202.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.