You are here

Going down the rabbit hole of choosing a new microphone

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Going down the rabbit hole of choosing a new microphone

Postby CS70 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:18 pm

Sam Inglis wrote:I've tried a FET 47 a couple of times and thought it was pretty underwhelming if I'm honest. I'd agree with James that a U87 is more useful unless you want an expensive bass drum mic.

From what I've tried, it may really depends on the source (of course) but also the material and the technique (for vocals). It's not a modern rock/pop sound and I feel it needs to be worked close and personal for an intimate sound. Think Leonard Cohen style more than Guns'n'Roses :)

And I love one on piano and yeah, bass drum!
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Re: Going down the rabbit hole of choosing a new microphone

Postby rggillespie » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:46 am

I find the OC818 is very versatile and it's my go to mic for recording everything, if i only had one mic that would be the one for me, highly recommended. That being said I have a warm audio wa47 valve mic and its the one I tend to use for vocals. Works great with other things too but its huge and heavy and a pain to move about with out it toppling over the mic stand. It seems to make the vocal cut through the mix and seem larger than life. With so many reviews it's difficult to know which way to go, so well worth buying with a return option. Easily the biggest step up for me though, was room treatment, comfortably the best investment I ever made. Its helps with the recording side but also the monitoring side too, you can suddenly hear clearly what you've recorded, after the rooms been treated. Its easy to dismiss as its not very exciting, but the benefits are huge. Good luck with the rabbit hole exploration.
rggillespie
Regular

Previous