You are here

Studio Monitors under $500

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Studio Monitors under $500

Postby xk0nsid » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:17 pm

Hi guys, I'm planning to buy my first studio monitors and I needed some help. I have a budget of at about $500. I am confused between a couple of options namely

Kali Audio LP6
    M-Audio BX8 D3
    Presonus Eris E5 XT
    JBL 308PMKII

I also looked at Adam Audio T7 but they are fairly over my budget. I'm not sure if the extra money will be worth it because they are nearly double. I'm quite impressed with LP6s but I'm not sure. Would really like some help. Monitors are a fairly big investment and a long one too.
xk0nsid

Re: Studio Monitors under $500

Postby blinddrew » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:14 pm

I would add the Adam T5 to your list as well if you can find them near your budget.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby xk0nsid » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:45 am

blinddrew wrote:I would add the Adam T5 to your list as well if you can find them near your budget.
I considered them, but I usually work on music which is a little bass heavy. I am worried that I'll have to keep going to headphones for bass and after a couple weeks will start using headphones only. But again, I don't know if I'm write I have never used studio monitors like these before, only used headphone monitors. Do you think T5s will be enough to work that kind of music?
xk0nsid

Postby blinddrew » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:35 am

The simple fact is that unless you're working in an exceptionally well acoustically-treated room you will always need to use headphones* to check your low end. At low frequencies the effect of the room modes, even if you've got reasonable treatment, will still be large. Using headphones takes the room out of the equation and allows you to make properly informed decisions about the bottom end.
Personally, I prefer a less-extended but more controlled low end, which can then be double checked on headphones, because it tends to make listening to the low-mids on the speakers easier.
So I'd err on the side of smaller speakers and put any cash savings to either a decent set of open-back headphones (if you don't already have them) or towards some acoustic treatment for the room.
This will, longer term, deliver a much better result than trying to get good low end extension from a budget (good, but budget ;) ) set of monitors in an untreated room.

* I tripped up on this a few weeks ago, I've got very used to listening on my monitors and hadn't really given a particular mix a proper listen on headphones - as a result I'd missed a build up of mush around 160Hz where my room has a null. Fortunately a fellow forum member pointed it out to me. :D
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:41 am

Welcome!

Just to endorse Drew's point... unless you're in a decent acoustically treated room the sound from any monitors - irrespective of cost - will be compromised before it reaches your ears. This is particularly true of bass, and if your room is small then you'll never get enough acoustic treatment in there to deal with the bass.

Drew has spelt out the potential implications for mixes...

As for what to buy... I'm with Drew! :)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:52 am

Treated or untreated, you’ll have to get something at some point, it’s the Eris E5’s, about the best of the bunch AFAIC, if I really had to choose.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby uselessoldman » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:56 pm

I bought the Adams T7Vs after spending quite some time testing retesting monitors with a completely open mind about price, I wanted value for money. I could hear small glitches on the T7Vs matched only by monitors twice their price. Not only that you get a 5yr warranty !!
uselessoldman
Regular

Postby xk0nsid » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:18 pm

Hi Guys, After much consideration, I went with Kali LP-6s and I have to say that I love them. They sound great for their price and I think overall is a good pair of monitors, especially first studio monitors. I also purchased m50x headphone monitors to pair with them. Overall the setup sounds fairly good. Thanks for all the support guys.
xk0nsid

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:18 pm

Hi xk0nsid - thanks for coming back to let us know what you chose and that you're happy with them. That info could well help someone else ;)

Don't forget about some acoustic treatment though, as that will make your new monitors sound even better.

Martin
Martin Walker