You are here

Question about Alesis Midiverb II

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Question about Alesis Midiverb II

Postby aj00148 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:09 am

Hi, new user here.

I have an alesis midiverb II. I know these are typically used for guitars in the effects loop, however I’m wanting to use it in a different application. My goal is to be able to use it when recording vocals.

So my question is this: if I connect a microphone via xlr female to 1/4” into the input of the midiverb, then route the midiverb output to the the input of my Art TPS preamp, then out the tps finally to the input of my audio interface, will I get vocals recorded with reverb?

I tried using the outs of the reverb into the insert point on the interface and wasn’t successful.

I’m hoping to get a basic rack for recording (eq/comp/reverb/tube preamp), but the routing has always confused me a bit. Thanks in advance.
aj00148

Re: Question about Alesis Midiverb II

Postby desmond » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:11 am

You don't want to record the vocal going through the reverb in that way.

You want to record the dry vocal, with *sends* go to the reverb and back into extra inputs, so you can run audio through the reverb. How you do this depends on the gear available to you.

You'll need at least two extra inputs on your interface (to bring back the stereo reverb) and an extra one or two outputs (to send audio to the reverb), in addition to your vocal mic input.

How you route there from you DAW will depend on your DAW, but basically, send from your vocal track to a bus sending to the output to the reverb, and bring back the reverb inputs into an extra couple of input channels - some DAWs have more convenient ways of doing this but I have no idea what you are using.)
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby blinddrew » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:24 am

Desmond's answer not withstanding, if you do want to record 'wet' for a special effect, then your order is back to front.
The Alesis is expecting a line level signal, if you plug the mic in there directly so you need to go mic > TPS > midiverb. That way the midiverb is seeing the level it would expect to see.
But that's not how you'd normally use such a device as it's very unusual to print reverb on the way in.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby The Elf » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:15 pm

As the others have said - don't do this. If you really want to use your MIDIVerb then patch it in from your DAW after you have recorded the vocal dry.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby CS70 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:33 pm

aj00148 wrote:My goal is to be able to use it when recording vocals.

As everyone's said, it's never a good idea to print the reverb before mixing.

But it can be a good idea to hear the reverb in the headphones while you (or the singer) sing.

To do that you have two ways: one is the easy one, patch the reverb between the headphone out and the headphones. *All* the mix will be wet but I've this a lot in a pinch and for comfort reverb that has never been a big problem - especially since these Alesis should have a mix control.. so you pick up a reverb you like and mix it in enough that it works as a comfort reverb but makes the guide track just a little further - it even helps with pitching.

The other is to set up a hardware send in the monitoring chain or the DAW but it can be tricky and the details depend on which kit and DAW you use.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page