You are here

Simple outdoor one-channel recording using a Phantom mic

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Simple outdoor one-channel recording using a Phantom mic

Postby arnbar » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:05 am

I currently play sax using a back up track and a phantom mic input in a simple Yamaha mixer to get a clean balanced sound in my headphones. Simultaneously, the sax is recorded into my iPhone camera video app. Then I go home and mix the backing track with the iPhone video which carries the sax track. Lots of external noise of course. There are no separate channels out in the little Yamaha mixer. If I used an audio interface for the phantom mic, I could send two lines out: one into the mixer, the other into a recording device of some kind.

There are two options here.
1.) try to input the mic (via the audio interface) into the iPhone itself. I can't find anyone online who has explained how that can be done. The iPhone tends to use only its on board mic in video recording. That would be great, would just need an analog to lightning converter (I theorize).
2) isn't there some inexpensive portable recorder that will accept either my phantom mic or the audio interface analog out, and simply record that signal? When I search for "portable recorder," the products are all devices for reporters doing interviews with the device's internal mics. And they tend to be expensive.

Help.
arnbar

Re: Simple outdoor one-channel recording using a Phantom mic

Postby CS70 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:04 am

I guess you're using a clip-on mic for the sax? Yes, a two channel interface would allow you to do that, the bummer is that you'd need additional recording equipment (say a pc) and there's more stuff to set up every time.

Something like an iRigPre has phantom power and would allow you to record the microphone directly into your phone - which would double as video and audio recorder - but this time, with the audio coming directly from your sax mic. What you need to check is that the power provided by the iRig is sufficient for your mic (but it should).

You'd need a light extension lead to allow you to position the phone where you want for the camera while giving you the freedom to move with the sax, and probably some solid weighting for the phone stand or the cable to avoid it falling. but these are cheap and simple to arrange.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Urthlupe » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:23 am

Yup -

A ‘class compliant’ audio interface attached to the iPhone. Playback and recording directly into/ out of an app - Garageband for free or maybe Cubasis......

Loopy
Urthlupe
Frequent Poster

Postby Urthlupe » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:26 am

You’ll need a power source to the phone though, the interface will not be able to draw enough from the phone. Suggest connection via the apple combined USB/Lightening adapter.

I use a similar rig on iPad for Zoom sessions.

Loopy
Urthlupe
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:05 am

I am confused. OP said he could only record on the iPhone's internal microphone and yet the iRig hookup page shows a feed (3.5mm jack?) to such a phone.

If he can in fact get a 'line feed' (stereo?) into the phone he just needs a better mixer?

In fact could he not just use a USB mixer such as the 24 bit Soundcraft 8FX?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:44 am

Wouldn't something like a Zoom H4n Pro cover all options?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Luke W » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:02 am

blinddrew wrote:Wouldn't something like a Zoom H4n Pro cover all options?

That's the route I'd take.

It all depends on what someone defines as inexpensive though I suppose.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby CS70 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:15 pm

The iRigPre takes phantom power from a battery. 30hrs time.

Sax -> mic -> cable -> iRigPre -> iRig recorder 3 (which also supports video recording).
If he needs the sax in the PA, he can take a feed from the headphone out into the little mixer.

Don't see the point of having separate audio and video recording devices for this kind of activity - I doubt there will any quality change between the preamps in a handheld and the iRig.

If he places a couple of snare hits at the start of the backing track, the sax mic will probably pick up enough to rough synch easily, since he won't be playing the sax in that moment.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page