You are here

It's easier to ID his mike, right?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

It's easier to ID his mike, right?

Postby awjoe » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:32 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=Iw ... e=youtu.be

They guy's using a mic on a stand. The women use wraparound mics. It's easier to ID the guy's mic, right?
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Well, maybe I could take one for the team. But no pictures.

Re: It's easier to ID his mike, right?

Postby Dan LB » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:26 pm

Eh? Not really sure what you’re asking.

If you want to know what the mics are........

Male vox - Shure Beta 58
Female vox - Sennheiser HSP2
Accordion - DPA 4099 core
Snare and Floor tom - Sennheiser e904
Hats (mic’ed from underneath) - Shure SM81
Darbuka - Shure SM57

Maybe I’ve completely misunderstood..... great music though! Love it! :thumbup:
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby awjoe » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:44 pm

You read my mind - thank you. It's the women's vocal mic I'm curious about.

Sennheiser HSP2 - it sounds okay to me in the video - do you have experience of or an opinion about that mic?
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:45 pm

Pretty much impossible to identify the girl's mics I'd say...

I might hazard a guess that the bloke is using an SM58 :blush:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Dan LB » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:27 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Pretty much impossible to identify the girl's mics I'd say...

Judging by the stiffness of the boom and the way they’re positioned slightly away from the face, I reckon they’re Sennheiser HSP2s. You can see at exactly 2.07 and again at 3.32 in the video how they move in relation to the face - the sennies tend to do this. The foam windshields look like Sennheiser’s too.

Sam Spoons wrote:I might hazard a guess that the bloke is using an SM58

Definitely a Beta 58.

awjoe wrote:Sennheiser HSP2 - it sounds okay to me in the video - do you have experience of or an opinion about that mic?

They sound good but they are a pain to position correctly. The headband is a poor design in my opinion, especially on smaller heads, also the boom is very stiff and doesn’t like to be bent too much. As I said above they tend to move about on the performer too - standard hairclips (kirby grips /bobby pins) can help with this but there’s a bit of faffing about in general.

I much prefer the DPA 4266 which is available in a choice of boom lengths and is way easier to position, and stays put. They sound better to me than the senny too.
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby awjoe » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:27 pm

Thanks. I've used a Sennheiser in a classroom situation, and yes, it's fiddly and doesn't hold its position at all well.

The earpieces on the 4266 seem sturdier than other DPA models - is that why they hold their position so well, do you think?

Also, the 4266 is omni, but other DPA models are directional. I suppose the proximity of the omni means that bleed from nearby sources (an acoustic instrument you're playing, for instance) is minimal?
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Luke W » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:59 pm

awjoe wrote:The earpieces on the 4266 seem sturdier than other DPA models - is that why they hold their position so well, do you think?

Possibly, but all of the DPA headset designs are far more hard wearing that they may appear at first glace. I've seen 4066's stand up to some serious use without any problems.

awjoe wrote:Also, the 4266 is omni, but other DPA models are directional. I suppose the proximity of the omni means that bleed from nearby sources (an acoustic instrument you're playing, for instance) is minimal?

That's the idea. I'm not a big fan of directional headsets personally, they certainly have their place and they can be a big help in some situations, but in a decent space that isn't mega loud I'd rather have an omni.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby John Stafford » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:29 pm

Nothing useful to add, but what fantastic voices!
John Stafford
Regular

Postby awjoe » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:44 pm

Dan, Luke: very useful - thanks very much. :thumbup:
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Dan LB » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:33 am

awjoe wrote:The earpieces on the 4266 seem sturdy than other DPA models - is that why they hold their position so well, do you think?

I don’t think the Sennheiser ‘earpieces’ are any less sturdy than the DPAs - in fact I think they’re even more sturdy. What tends to happen with the Sennheisers is that they are a bit of a loose fit in a lot of cases and there is a bit more weight on the assembly behind the head which tends to make the ear a pivot point which the boom arm wants to rotate around. The DPAs are a bit more snug-fitting and have less weight towards the back of the head, so tend to stay put.

awjoe wrote:Also, the 4266 is omni, but other DPA models are directional. I suppose the proximity of the omni means that bleed from nearby sources (an acoustic instrument you're playing, for instance) is minimal?

The omni pattern certainly makes them sound more natural, but they provide a bit less gain before feedback in front of wedges compared to a cardioid version. The proximity to the source goes a way to alleviating this, and yes, they tend to be pretty good when it comes to rejecting nearby sources (such as an acoustic guitar being played by the wearer for example) but again, the proximity to the source audio plays a big part here.
Dan LB
Frequent Poster