You are here

Upgrading Cubase Artist 10.5 to Pro - my machine can't run Mojave and thus not Cubase 11

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Upgrading Cubase Artist 10.5 to Pro - my machine can't run Mojave and thus not Cubase 11

Postby pfgpowell » Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:03 pm

Can anyone help.

Last summer I bought Cubase Artist 10.5 but a week or two ago I realised features I want to use are only available on Pro 10.5. So I went to upgrade, only to find I would now have to upgrade to Cubase 11. Fine, except Cubase 11 needs OS Mojave and above, but my machine is just a little to old for OS Mojave and above.

Googling helped me find that Andertons and Gear4Music etc are still selling upgrades to Pro 10.5 but ONLY from Cubase AI 10.5, not from Artist, and I can’t find anywhere that will let me upgrade to Pro from Artist.

Any ideas? I suspect that all I need to do is buy an activation key and Cubase Artist become Pro and the extra features will be activated. Would that be the case? And where can I find a — legit — Cubase 10.5 Pro activation key for my USB dongle.

Any ideas?
pfgpowell
New here

Re: Upgrading Cubase Artist 10.5 to Pro - my machine can't run Mojave and thus not Cubase 11

Postby djangodeadman » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:29 pm

If you upgrade to Cubase Pro 11, your licence will allow to use not only Pro 11 (which is of no use to you), but also all earlier and lesser versions of Cubase. You should still be able to download 10.5 from the Steinberg website.
djangodeadman
Regular

Re: Upgrading Cubase Artist 10.5 to Pro - my machine can't run Mojave and thus not Cubase 11

Postby pfgpowell » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:32 pm

Well, that's helpful and thank you, but can you provide a link to where I could download Pro 10.5 because I can't find one anywhere?
pfgpowell
New here
"When men grow tired of war, they seek more subtle means of destruction" — Lucius Bacillus

Postby desmond » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:40 pm

Have you tried contacting Steinberg and asking them what to do?
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby pfgpowell » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:46 pm

Yes, but so far I haven't had a reply.
pfgpowell
New here
"When men grow tired of war, they seek more subtle means of destruction" — Lucius Bacillus

Postby The Elf » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:56 pm

The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby pfgpowell » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:27 pm

No, you don't understand: that's just the site to update your version of 10.5, but I have the latest updated version of Cubase Artist 10.5.

What I want to do is UPGRADE from Artist to Pro, but as I've pointed out although I could easily upgrade to Cubase Pro 11, my machine is just a tad too old to run Mojave which (according to Steinberg) Cubase 11 needs.

Someone else suggested buying the Cubase 11 UPGRADE activation licence, and that would then also activate Cubase 10.5 PRO, which (he says) I would have to download from Steinberg. THAT would be around 20Gb worth.

I'll repeat: the site you have linked to is nothing more than an UPDATE site.

My only hope is that as I already have Artist installed, registering an PRO licence will unlock features already PRO installed. But I'm not going to buy the licence until I'm 100% sure I know what's going on.
pfgpowell
New here

Postby zenguitar » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:36 pm

Scroll to the bottom of the page The Elf linked to. Right at the bottom are the initial installers for 10.5.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
liberté, frivolité et vanité

Postby pfgpowell » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:41 pm

Hmm, that makes me think that the download for both Artist and Pro is the same one, and that all features are installed, but if (like me) you only have an Artist licence on your USB dongle, some features are still disabled.

Would that be the case?

That might mean that I would be right in thinking that all I have to do is buy a Cubase 11 Pro activation licence, add it to my dongle, then the remaining Pro features will be unlocked.

Do you reckon that's the case?
pfgpowell
New here

Postby The Elf » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:51 pm

pfgpowell wrote:Hmm, that makes me think that the download for both Artist and Pro is the same one, and that all features are installed, but if (like me) you only have an Artist licence on your USB dongle, some features are still disabled.

Would that be the case?
Yes.

pfgpowell wrote:That might mean that I would be right in thinking that all I have to do is buy a Cubase 11 Pro activation licence, add it to my dongle, then the remaining Pro features will be unlocked.

Do you reckon that's the case?
Don't know.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby pfgpowell » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:52 pm

Great thanks, I'll give it a whirl.
pfgpowell
New here

Postby Fishnish » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:59 pm

Just did pretty much exactly this for a mate on a Win machine, and ended up needing to run the full installer as various plugins and features were missing. Better to use the Download Assistant rather than the standalone installer, That way you should n't have to re-download components that are already part of your Artist installation
Fishnish
Regular