You are here

Reaper recording conundrum

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Reaper recording conundrum

Postby rggillespie » Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:19 pm

Just having a problem recording with Reaper, I'm hoping a wise reaper user may be able to help. It's appeared out of nowhere last week and I cant seem to fix it. When I record a track, vocal or guitar with a mic. It records as usual, I can see the track there but when i save it the track goes completely blank? I play it back and the recording is there all fine, just nothing showing visually, its blank, so I cant edit it etc. I've updated will the latest download with no success, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to sort this out. It must be in the settings perhaps, but I cant seem to find where. Any help much appreciated as ever!
rggillespie
Regular

Re: Reaper recording conundrum

Postby blinddrew » Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:20 pm

Presumably the waveforms for any other tracks are all correctly visible?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby James Perrett » Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:43 pm

I've got a feeling I had this at some point in the past but I can't remember exactly what happened. I think it had something to do with the reapeaks files which are the files that Reaper generates containing a picture of the waveforms. Have you accidentally told Reaper to not generate these files?
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby rggillespie » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:23 pm

I'm very wary of making any changes in reaper so its been unchanged for a couple of years. I hoped downloading the latest update would do the trick but to no avail. The ezdrummer drummer tracks show up as usual and the original guitar track is fine but after that all the other tracks are blank. I must have pressed something accidentally.
If i close down the song, leave reaper and re-open it. The song loads and very briefly a little window pops up saying 'building peaks' and there are items 1/18 that quickly load. It's there for a couple of seconds then goes, that's new but i thought it was related to latest software update. Are these reapeaks perhaps?
rggillespie
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:29 pm

Have a look in the project directory. For every audio file there should also be a corresponding reapeaks file.
I wonder if these are somehow being saved to a different filepath?
You haven't moved the project at all?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby James Perrett » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:45 pm

Go to Options->Preferences->Appearance->Peaks/Waveforms and see if Display Peaks for Media Items is ticked at the top of the window. Unticking this box will cause the symptoms you describe. Also in the Audio->Recording section of the preferences check the options around Build Peaks for Recorded Files.
James Perrett

Postby rggillespie » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:57 pm

In the peaks/waveform area I have ticks for display peaks for media items and display while recording. No ticks for only display peaks for selected tracks and only display peaks for tracks and items that are soled or not muted.
In audio recording section I have build peaks for recorded files ticked for on the fly.
I haven’t moved the project.
Perhaps it’s something in the waveform settings area?
rggillespie
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:09 pm

You can also tell it to store peak files in a different place to the audio which may be a problem if the alternate location doesn't exist. It may be worth using the search function in the Preferences box - try entering peak in there and then stepping through all the options that it finds.
James Perrett

Postby rggillespie » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:23 pm

Many thanks for your help blinddrew and James Perrett, I got there in the end today. A bit of file clearing and organizing seem to have got it back, the files where being stored in the wrong place for some reason. Not sure how that happened, it coincided with a big windows update, anyway but it's fixed now.
rggillespie
Regular

Postby manwilde » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:43 pm

Since we "upgraded" the project studio PC to Win10 it´s been nothing but headaches. Things get changed by themselves, configurations that were working flawlessly stop working and sometimes they get back to normal on their own... I keep my home computer on Win7, never touching the internet, and it´s staying like that for a loooong time.
I know not everyone has issues with Win10, but it doesn´t seem so unusual either... I feel more confident when I know James Perrett (I believe) still has some machines on XP for certain tasks.
manwilde
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:11 pm

manwilde wrote:I know not everyone has issues with Win10, but it doesn´t seem so unusual either... I feel more confident when I know James Perrett (I believe) still has some machines on XP for certain tasks.

Yes, the machine in the studio is still on XP but the XP laptop in my mobile setup stopped recognising the Firewire interface a couple of weeks ago so I've just replaced it with an RME Digiface USB on the Windows 10 laptop. I'm very cautious about upgrading Windows so I'm currently still on 1909 but I'm tempted to try sometime soon. I still have the old hard disk with a working setup on it from before I installed the SSD if things go wrong.
James Perrett

Postby Arpangel » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:43 am

rggillespie wrote:Many thanks for your help blinddrew and James Perrett, I got there in the end today. A bit of file clearing and organizing seem to have got it back, the files where being stored in the wrong place for some reason. Not sure how that happened, it coincided with a big windows update, anyway but it's fixed now.

I’ve had this issue on my Win 10 PC several times, where the destination folder somehow gets changed to another drive, however, it never seems to happen on my Mac.
Maybe as you say, it’s something to do with updates.
Although I find the way Reaaper stores its projects is very messy, my Reaper Media folder is full of all sorts of stuff, back ups of back ups, but that’s the way it works I guess.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby manwilde » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:21 am

I'm away now, but if you're interested I can check my settings when back home. I feel my Reaper projects folder is tidier than the rest of my house... :lol:
manwilde
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:31 am

manwilde wrote:I'm away now, but if you're interested I can check my settings when back home. I feel my Reaper projects folder is tidier than the rest of my house... :lol:

I know you can change where certain types of files are stored relating to a particular project, I have two Reaper Media files, one is the default one it creates when you install it, and the other is one I made myself, my music folder. Sometimes I forget which one is which, and I may choose one for a particular project, and forget, that can cause problems sometimes.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:40 pm

You probably know this already but don't you have Reaper create subdirectories for each project and tick the "copy all media into project directory" box? You can also have it save 'reapeaks' files into a sub folder within the project folder to reduce clutter.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Next