You are here

Looking for this tone

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Looking for this tone

Postby dcksonjoe » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:44 pm

Hi all
I have a boss katana mk2, zoom g3xn and a boss gt100

I am trying to get this tone here in the video

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV174411378e

I tried for hours and still can't get it

would it be possible that he's using a mixer? or mixed it after recording? I know for sure he's using a distortion pedal

Thanks!
dcksonjoe

Re: Looking for this tone

Postby Murray B » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:43 pm

I don't really do distortion sounds but...

Sounds like there is a really short delay in the main part as well as the distortion going on. It might help you get a bit closer if you try that. Only a few milliseconds so it starts to act almost like a flanger, keeping changing the settings till it sounds right :-)

There's a noise gate on it too I think I think I can hear it in action at the very end of the track.

Hopefully you might get some more hints from those more experienced in higher gain tones.
Murray B
Regular

Postby BJG145 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:05 pm

I don't know a lot about guitar tone but it just sounds like distortion and reverb to me. (Quite possibly delay too if you're hearing that.) I mean, there's bass doubling, and a decent palm-muting technique and other stuff going on, so someone else playing the same riff solo could sound quite a lot different.
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:44 am

For the ballpark, I'd start with a Marshall a bit overdriving or + DS1, humbucking guitar, neck pickup and a analog delay. The amp overdrive gives you the bass, the DS1 gives you the fizz, the delay mellows the tone so it doesn't sound buzzy, so playing the three should get you there. The important bit is that the amp is not crystal clean to start with (but not super-fuzzy either, otherwise there's nothing to do for the pedal). Don't think there's reverb. The growl is due to the neck pickup. The playing does the rest.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:47 pm

Just to add he's a good player there's nothing particularly hard* about what he is playing but he's playing it very well. How are you with the playing techniques involved?

I'd say don't get too bogged down in the precise tone, even if you are trying to do an exact cover of the song the playing is 90% of it.

WRT processing during mix down, yes almost certainly, it may actually have been recorded dry and passed through various plug ins at mix down with his 'live' processed sound only being for his monitor feed but even of not eq and compression will have almost certainly been applied during the mix.

* The solos are a little more challenging but still not super hard.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........