You are here

Scarlett 6i6 not picking up my Nord in Ableton

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Scarlett 6i6 not picking up my Nord in Ableton

Postby Michelle de Jong » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:04 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm having trouble with my Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 interface. I've been told by the team that I need to send it to be repaired but it's out of warranty and I don't have much ££ so thought I'd post on here just in case anyone has the answers.

Up until a week ago, I plugged my Nord keyboard into inputs 3+4 of my Scarlett 6i6 and it worked just fine. But now, Ableton isn't picking up the Nord at all. Zero sound, zero signal. Which is strange because it's picking up the 6i6 just fine. To make things weirder, when I plug the Nord into inputs 1+2 [the inputs on the front that are also for XLR] the sound of the Nord comes through, but still no signal on Ableton. This is no good because I want to record the Nord and do live looping, both of which I cannot do when it's not coming through Ableton.

I've tried everything - resetting factory settings on the 6i6, trying it with different cables, following all the troubleshooting steps. I've made sure all the inputs on Ableton are enabled. But nothing is working. Am wondering if anyone has had a similar problem and knows how to fix it? As I feel there must be a way! And am reluctant to buy a new one/pay for repair if I can maybe fix it myself.

Thanks a lot,
Michelle
Michelle de Jong

Re: Scarlett 6i6 not picking up my Nord in Ableton

Postby Agharta » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:58 pm

Have you tried using a different DAW to see if that works?
In other words, trial by elimination.
Agharta
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:03 pm

Does it work if you don't run Ableton but just look at MixControl or use the interface with Windows Audio?
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby uselessoldman » Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:16 pm

3/4 inputs are line only you need mic pre input? or can you change this in mixcontrol. 3/4 on my Liquid are all 3 mic/line/instrument but rest mic/line only. If 3/4 assigned to line signal it wont work.

Then in Daw assign track to input 3/4
uselessoldman
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:23 pm

The OP is plugging a Nord keyboard into the line inputs which should be fine.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby blinddrew » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:13 pm

Worth checking the set-up in Ableton to check that it's still using the ASIO driver and is 'seeing' all the inputs and outputs. If it's defaulted to another driver it might only be looking for 2 inputs and outputs.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...