You are here

new active monitors for my office/tinkering room

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

new active monitors for my office/tinkering room

Postby Dave71 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:16 pm

Looking for some new compact monitors

My office is quite small with lots of shelving and practically no soft furnishings other than the carpet, blind and equipment bags on said shelving, it's almost tall as it is wide. Most of the reflections seem to come from above head height but it's not really an issue as I'm just a home 'tinkerer'

Desk space is limited to 1500mm x 600mm and speaker placement is fairly tight against the wall. One speaker will be towards a corner, within 300mm. Furthest i can sit is about 1200m from the speakers, normally approx 600mm

Listening will mainly be via itunes/t'interweb with the odd bit of very basic music creation, but it is something I may get more into hence the search.

So...with a budget of up to £300 ish, what would you recommend.
Cant be any bigger than the numerous 5" models
Would forward porting be a better option or wouldn't it matter that much?
Does the KRK Rokit's graphic eq option over complicate things?

Cheers
Dave71
Regular

Re: new active monitors for my office/tinkering room

Postby blinddrew » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:18 pm

For my money, at that price it's hard to get past Adam's T5V...
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Murray B » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:43 pm

I'm very happy with my iLoud Micro Monitors

They are tiny, front ported and have a built in isolating kick stand for desktop use - although I mount them on little mic stands for my 'proper' attempts at mixing to reduce the boundary effect from the desk. I'm not an experienced enough studio user to know what I might be missing, but for me these and a pair of AKG K702's have transformed my mixing experience for the better.

The bass response for their size is really quite remarkable. There are lots of positive reviews all over the net including in the SOS magazine. I think I read them all before buying them :D

Other folks may also have some good suggestions of course.
Murray B
Regular

Postby Dave71 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:22 pm

blinddrew wrote:For my money, at that price it's hard to get past Adam's T5V...
Thanks mate, on the shortlist. Just a bit concerned about the footprint. Tape measure and masking tape time

Murray B wrote:I'm very happy with my iLoud Micro Monitors

They are tiny, front ported and have a built in isolating kick stand for desktop use.....

The bass response for their size is really quite remarkable. There are lots of positive reviews all over the net including in the SOS magazine. I think I read them all before buying them :D

Other folks may also have some good suggestions of course.

Never saw them, but just read the review. Very interesting! Thanks for that.
Dave71
Regular

Postby Luke W » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:53 pm

Murray B wrote:I'm very happy with my iLoud Micro Monitors

I keep hearing good things about these, they seem to be gaining a fair bit of popularity.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby dickiefunk » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:51 am

I've got a pair of Presonus Eris 5's that I picked up secondhand for a similar purpose. I bought an as new pair with Auralex Mo-Pads and XLR-jack leads for £100 which was a great deal and I figured if I didn't like them I could sell them again and easily get my money back.
When I tried them I was genuinely quite surprised at how good they are. I've also used the JBL LSR 305's which also impressed me but I personally thought the Eris 5's were less hyped in the highs and particularly the lows. There are newer XT versions of the Eris which are said to have better high frequency dispersion and more low frequency extension but I haven't heard those personally.
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster
http://www.richardpenrose.com

Postby maladat » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:33 pm

I'm an utter newbie to recording/mixing/mastering, so I can't really make meaningful comments on how good they are as monitors.

However, from a music listening background - leaning towards science, measurements, and accurate, neutral reproduction rather than audiophile BS - with experience with good speaker setups and excellent headphone setups, I am really impressed with the Adam T5V monitors.

I bought them to add speakers to my office headphone setup, and they're very good. Pleasant to listen to, resolve detail well, good stereo imaging. Taking their extremely affordable price tag into account, I think they're phenomenal.

Again, that's based on using them to listen to music, not in a studio environment.
maladat

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:01 pm

Genelec make excellent compact actives:

https://www.genelec.com/8010a
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby resistorman » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:35 pm

+1 for the Eris, though the XT model. Very balanced sound. I also have the iLouds hooked up to my TV with remarkable results. I used to use them as a B monitor, though they're so small I found them prone to falling over at the slightest provocation. The phono inputs went bad, and not trusting the 1/8" plug I bought the Eris. Of course, the Adams will sound fantastic, I loved mt A7s when I had them.
resistorman
Frequent Poster