You are here

Multitrack recorder? (I bet you haven't seen this question before)

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Multitrack recorder? (I bet you haven't seen this question before)

Postby seriousnewbie » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:54 am

I am in the market for something that can get me a keyboard (stereo), at least one (but probably 2) guitars, a bass (DI and amp), a mic, and a Boss GT-1 (stereo as well). Why the Boss GT-1? I used to use it as my actual amp a while ago, but then I got a real one and moved on from it, I recently started using it for cool digital sounds and layering, and it sounds fantastic. Also drums, I don't have a drum kit now but I am not going to want to have to get something different when I do :D.

I'd like something with multitrack via USB IO, hardware outputs, and enough inputs for the stuff I described + some room for any future needs. Let me know about any other questions that I missed (have to go soon so I wrote this pretty quickly so I probably missed quite a bit). Honestly the biggest reason I came here is because I can't find anything that has enough inputs, and has usb I/0. It seems like all the reasonably priced audio interfaces are only 8 inputs :headbang:.

Here is a mixer that I have been really been keeping my out for lately, The Soundcraft Signature 22 MTK:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... th-effects.

P.S. the hardware outputs are only for if its an audio interface.

Thanks for any ideas!
seriousnewbie
Regular

Re: Multitrack recorder? (I bet you haven't seen this question before)

Postby DarthPaul » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:44 am

This mixer has been discussed here, I have one and it's very good, albeit with some limitations in the monitoring setup.

https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 15&t=74712
DarthPaul
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:09 am

Are you going to record a band or just yourself (or something in-between)? If the former, or if you just want to have everything plumbed in all the time, the Behringer XR18 Music Wolf linked to is probably the most cost effective way of getting 16 inputs and 8 outputs with considerable flexibility of routing and a stand alone live mixer thrown in for free...
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby seriousnewbie » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:42 pm

seriousnewbie
Regular

Postby Music Wolf » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:04 pm

I actually own both of those and I've used each to record a 4 piece band.

The Behringer is the more capable mixer, and has more inputs, but you need a laptop to both operate the mixer and run the DAW. You also need seperate headphone amps.

The Zoom is all in one (recording to SD card). It has, from memory, 5 headphone mixes / amps (all stereo). It is easy to drag the files from the Zoom to a PC for editing (not so straight forward the other way around, but it can be done).
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ken long » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:18 pm

seriousnewbie wrote:I'd like something with multitrack via USB IO, hardware outputs, and enough inputs for the stuff I described + some room for any future needs.

I dunno. I'd want some inserts for that price. That may or may not form part of your future needs...
ken long
Frequent Poster (Level2)
I'm All Ears.

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:30 pm

I'm not aware of a digital mixer or interface* with dedicated inserts. Most will let you route an output/input pair to an external hardware device and back.

* I'm looking at moderately priced kit grater than boutique or serious professional stuff
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby The Elf » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:53 pm

I also own both of the devices linked above.

The Zoom L-12 is hands on, quick and simple (as long as you get used to the non-motorised faders). Its big score for me is in being able to record internally *and* over USB to a connected computer.

The Behringer is a powerhouse, but requires a control application of some kind (I prefer laptop) and a lot more care setting up. There's a lot of complexity under the hood.

Both great devices.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby seriousnewbie » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:35 pm

ken long wrote:
seriousnewbie wrote:I'd like something with multitrack via USB IO, hardware outputs, and enough inputs for the stuff I described + some room for any future needs.

I dunno. I'd want some inserts for that price. That may or may not form part of your future needs...

I would love inserts aswell. But that price is all I can afford. I have actually been looking for more than a year now for something like this. If there was an option that can compete with this mixers capabilities AND has inserts without going much higher in the price. I would at like a snake to a mouse, but there isn't. If there is, let me know PLEASE.
seriousnewbie
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:21 pm

A couple of observations :-

Are you genuinely in the market for a relatively large mixer like the Soundcraft Sig 22 MTK? If so for around the same money you could buy a Behringer X32 Producer, immensely more flexible and expandable up to 40/22 I/O with 22/14 I/O on board, well proven reliability and 32/32 USB I/O.

You haven't answered the earlier question WRT who/what you plan to record :-

Sam Spoons wrote:Are you going to record a band or just yourself (or something in-between)? If the former, or if you just want to have everything plumbed in all the time, the Behringer XR18 Music Wolf linked to is probably the most cost effective way of getting 16 inputs and 8 outputs with considerable flexibility of routing and a stand alone live mixer thrown in for free...
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby seriousnewbie » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:12 am

Sam Spoons wrote:A couple of observations :-

Are you genuinely in the market for a relatively large mixer like the Soundcraft Sig 22 MTK? If so for around the same money you could buy a Behringer X32 Producer, immensely more flexible and expandable up to 40/22 I/O with 22/14 I/O on board, well proven reliability and 32/32 USB I/O.

You haven't answered the earlier question WRT who/what you plan to record :-

Sam Spoons wrote:Are you going to record a band or just yourself (or something in-between)? If the former, or if you just want to have everything plumbed in all the time, the Behringer XR18 Music Wolf linked to is probably the most cost effective way of getting 16 inputs and 8 outputs with considerable flexibility of routing and a stand alone live mixer thrown in for free...

Hhmm, I have to look into that because they both seem like great options. It is more flexible AND it has bus outs... how in the world haven't I seen this before? I

I'll be recording myself, my friends (don't have a band), and on gigs if those ever come back.
seriousnewbie
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:30 am

I have an X32 Compact, slightly bigger than the Producer to account for a few extra features like LCD scribble strips (which I decided were essential) and have used it both live and, since I retired, in my home studio. It's very flexible and powerful and does everything I could wish, very impressed.

WRT the Producer and other members of the range, all members of the X32 range have the ability to process 40 inputs and serve 22 outputs, differing in the number of faders and physical I/O. All can add I/O using dedicated stage boxes and all can accommodate a range of expansion cards, options from new are a straight USB card or the X-Live multitrack recording card (to USB and two SD cards) and MADI, Dante ADAT and other cards are available.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby seriousnewbie » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:03 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:I have an X32 Compact, slightly bigger than the Producer to account for a few extra features like LCD scribble strips (which I decided were essential) and have used it both live and, since I retired, in my home studio. It's very flexible and powerful and does everything I could wish, very impressed.

WRT the Producer and other members of the range, all members of the X32 range have the ability to process 40 inputs and serve 22 outputs, differing in the number of faders and physical I/O. All can add I/O using dedicated stage boxes and all can accommodate a range of expansion cards, options from new are a straight USB card or the X-Live multitrack recording card (to USB and two SD cards) and MADI, Dante ADAT and other cards are available.

soooooo ummm. what are scribble strips?
seriousnewbie
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:10 pm

Scribble strips on a traditional desk are usually white strips over or under the faders for the engineer to label the channels using a chinagraph pencil. Many digital desks have a small colour LCD panels in place of the white formica strip to display icons or text labels. Absolutely essential IMHO on a desk where the faders serve several different levels/functions as the LCD's will reflect the currently selected fader level/function
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Next