You are here

Multitrack recorder? (I bet you haven't seen this question before)

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Multitrack recorder? (I bet you haven't seen this question before)

Postby The Elf » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:11 pm

seriousnewbie wrote:soooooo ummm. what are scribble strips?
I feel so old... :( ;)
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby ManFromGlass » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:26 pm

and you worked hard to get here!
But should the apocalypse ever come to be and all things digital and wireless are dead, you will be one of the few who knows how to operate a rotary phone!
:D
ManFromGlass
Jedi Poster

Postby seriousnewbie » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:27 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Scribble strips on a traditional desk are usually white strips over or under the faders for the engineer to label the channels using a chinagraph pencil. Many digital desks have a small colour LCD panels in place of the white formica strip to display icons or text labels. Absolutely essential IMHO on a desk where the faders serve several different levels/functions as the LCD's will reflect the currently selected fader level/function
Oh okay thanks. Now I have been looking at the compact, and truthfully, I don't need 90% of the stuff that is extra on that board. I won't really use the on board compressor or gate. The eq is better and more accessible on the Soundcraft. Out of everything, believe it or not, the BIGGEST thing that is really going between the two, is that the x32 compact is so much more expensive (almost double depending where you look), but... THE X32 COMPACT HAS AUX IN'S & OUTS!!!!!!! those are SOOO useful, and sooooo future proofed. UGH
seriousnewbie
Regular

Postby manwilde » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:28 pm

The Elf wrote:
seriousnewbie wrote:soooooo ummm. what are scribble strips?
I feel so old... :( ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
manwilde
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:19 pm

seriousnewbie wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:Scribble strips on a traditional desk are usually white strips over or under the faders for the engineer to label the channels using a chinagraph pencil. Many digital desks have a small colour LCD panels in place of the white formica strip to display icons or text labels. Absolutely essential IMHO on a desk where the faders serve several different levels/functions as the LCD's will reflect the currently selected fader level/function
Oh okay thanks. Now I have been looking at the compact, and truthfully, I don't need 90% of the stuff that is extra on that board. I won't really use the on board compressor or gate. The eq is better and more accessible on the Soundcraft. Out of everything, believe it or not, the BIGGEST thing that is really going between the two, is that the x32 compact is so much more expensive (almost double depending where you look), but... THE X32 COMPACT HAS AUX IN'S & OUTS!!!!!!! those are SOOO useful, and sooooo future proofed. UGH

The aux I/O is common to all the X32 range, inc the Producer. You have to think of things differently on a digital desk, what would have been referred to as 'auxes' on an analogue desk are included in the buses on the X32, they are multi purpose and can be routed in an extremely flexible manner. The X32's 'auxes' can be used as inserts or as another 6 inputs and outputs. The eq is, likewise, common to all variants of the X32 and it's control section is identical on the Compact and Producer. All 4 variants of the X32 have exactly the same internal workings, differing only in control surface and I/O.

You are right that the Soundcraft is a fair bit cheaper, compared like for like on Thomann, there was less difference between it and the X32 Compact wherever it was I looked at prices yesterday.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Previous