You are here

Pro Tools to Logic

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Pro Tools to Logic

Postby nickle15 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:46 pm

I've just wrapped up an album (my first) and I used Pro Tools throughout. My primary reason for choosing that DAW was the strength of a recommendation from a friend using it, as well as the ability to collaborate via cloud with said friend. I'm glad I learned how to use it - though I'm nowhere close to an expert - and it served me well. The part that I'm bothered by is the monthly fee. I'm not making money at music and probably never will so I don't like the outlay every 30 days. Understand if it was not for the ongoing financial commitment I would be more than happy to stay with PT.

I'm going to look at some other DAWs but will likely head to Logic as I have a Mac and I've used GarageBand quite a bit in the past.

That being said, no matter which route I take, what considerations do I need to keep in mind? I don't know if I can "transfer" projects from one DAW to another, outside of export and import of MIDI and the audio files. I realize I would be losing the PT cloud based collaboration but I can always just work with WAV files back and forth with my friend. So what else to consider? Thanks for your time!
nickle15
Regular

Re: Pro Tools to Logic

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:00 pm

I probably know less about ProTools than you but I deliver my final files in a ProTools session.
I export my Logic mixes as wav files so they are time stamped. ProTools will import the files to that exact position. I work with a collaborator too and we set up a shared Dropbox folder with the ProTools session and all audio files copied there. The only important thing to watch out for is that only one of you can have the ProTools session open at once to add files to it. Then when finished you save the session and then close it so the other person can then add their files.
This has been working well for us for years. It should work fine taking files from the ProTools audio folder into Logic but I’ve never needed to do that.
ManFromGlass
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:15 pm

Project formats are proprietary and non-compatible. There are export formats like OMF/AAF/XML and so on, but the success of these varies wildly depending on many factors.

The best thing is to bounce out whatever media you need from the source project - consolidated audio files, with and without processing like plugins that are only available on one system, MIDI files, samples and so on, and recreate the project in the new system if you want to remix it etc.

If it's vital to recall the old project identically, then you'll need the original DAW, whether borrowed, subscribed etc.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby DC-Choppah » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:42 pm

Couple of things:

1 - I share projects with folks that use Logic (while I use Protools). I have never had any problem using the AAF format. One can export to AAF and import from AAF. This will bring in tracks between the two DAWs no problem. One has to have the basic understanding though that a project needs to first be reduced down to all audio tracks (no plugins). But this is standard when sharing bewteen DAWs since you can't count on what plugins they will have.

2- There are plenty of ways to have Protools without the monthly fee. I don't pay any monthly fee for Protools. You can buy a perpetual license if you want the latest version. Or you can just buy a perpetual license for any of the older versions. These are for sale on the used market (ebay). You are buying someone else's dongle with the licenses transferred to you. The monthly fee option is only for folks that want it for a short time (project) so that the license can be expensed to the project. The cost of the license is an expense and charged to the client. If you want Protools to use for everything it makes more sense to just buy the perpetual license once.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby nickle15 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:20 pm

DC-Choppah wrote:Couple of things:

1 - I share projects with folks that use Logic (while I use Protools). I have never had any problem using the AAF format. One can export to AAF and import from AAF. This will bring in tracks between the two DAWs no problem. One has to have the basic understanding though that a project needs to first be reduced down to all audio tracks (no plugins). But this is standard when sharing bewteen DAWs since you can't count on what plugins they will have.

2- There are plenty of ways to have Protools without the monthly fee. I don't pay any monthly fee for Protools. You can buy a perpetual license if you want the latest version. Or you can just buy a perpetual license for any of the older versions. These are for sale on the used market (ebay). You are buying someone else's dongle with the licenses transferred to you. The monthly fee option is only for folks that want it for a short time (project) so that the license can be expensed to the project. The cost of the license is an expense and charged to the client. If you want Protools to use for everything it makes more sense to just buy the perpetual license once.

Thanks for these tips. It helps to know about the AAF format, which I didn't before you mentioned it. That sounds like a good option.

I checked last night on getting Logic installed. Turns out you have to be running the most current OS to get it and I'm on Mojave with no plans to move up. Sounds like a call to Apple Support might be appropriate, though I'm not sure they'll be up for offering me an "old" version of their software.

I really like the option of a perpetual license with Pro Tools and will continue to explore that route as well - though the price tags I've seen so far are discouraging. But I haven't turned over all the stones yet...
nickle15
Regular

Postby desmond » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:25 pm

nickle15 wrote:I checked last night on getting Logic installed. Turns out you have to be running the most current OS to get it and I'm on Mojave with no plans to move up. Sounds like a call to Apple Support might be appropriate, though I'm not sure they'll be up for offering me an "old" version of their software.

The AppStore will give you the last compatible version for your OS, in your case, 10.5.1.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby nickle15 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:30 pm

desmond wrote:
nickle15 wrote:I checked last night on getting Logic installed. Turns out you have to be running the most current OS to get it and I'm on Mojave with no plans to move up. Sounds like a call to Apple Support might be appropriate, though I'm not sure they'll be up for offering me an "old" version of their software.

The AppStore will give you the last compatible version for your OS, in your case, 10.5.1.

Thanks for the tip - I'll give it a try this evening. I may have overlooked jumping into the App store because recently it wouldn't offer a copy of iMovie to me without upgrading my OS. What I actually did last night was to download the trial version of Logic, directly from Apple's website. After downloading I attempted to install and was informed I needed to upgrade my OS. But maybe the trial version is only put out for the latest OS?
nickle15
Regular

Postby desmond » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:32 pm

Depends on the version. The last time I looked, the trial version was 10.5.1 (requires Mojave).

If they've updated the trial to the current version of 10.6.x, which is probably likely, then it requires Catalina.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby nickle15 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:37 pm

desmond wrote:Depends on the version. The last time I looked, the trial version was 10.5.1 (requires Mojave).

If they've updated the trial to the current version of 10.6.x, which is probably likely, then it requires Catalina.

Could have been Catalina. I get a little confused by the 10.whatever version naming mechanism. It told me one of those versions but when it's just a number I don't know which it refers to specifically - I just know it wouldn't run on Mojave! :lol:

I should probably educate myself further on which number means what...
nickle15
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:39 pm

nickle15 wrote:
desmond wrote:

Thanks for the tip - I'll give it a try this evening. I may have overlooked jumping into the App store because recently it wouldn't offer a copy of iMovie to me without upgrading my OS. What I actually did last night was to download the trial version of Logic, directly from Apple's website. After downloading I attempted to install and was informed I needed to upgrade my OS. But maybe the trial version is only put out for the latest OS?

You should be an expert at navigating the darker recesses of the App Store after the iMovie saga :headbang: :D :D :D

WRT version numbers, I don't remember them either...
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby nickle15 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:45 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:
nickle15 wrote:
desmond wrote:

You should be an expert at navigating the darker recesses of the App Store after the iMovie saga :headbang: :D :D :D

WRT version numbers, I don't remember them either...

That's no joke! Those dark recesses are scary... :o
nickle15
Regular

Postby desmond » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:45 pm

"Google" means "never having to remember"...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby nickle15 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:47 pm

desmond wrote:"Google" means "never having to remember"...

Nice. I hope you've sold that to a greeting card company!! :bouncy:
nickle15
Regular

Postby desmond » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:36 pm

:thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby nickle15 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:02 pm

Catalina or newer is required to purchase Logic from the App store - just so everyone knows. And Apple does not have a way to sell me a copy that is compatible with Mojave. So that's that. :-|
nickle15
Regular

Next