You are here

Noob question: MixPre 3ii or 6ii?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Noob question: MixPre 3ii or 6ii?

Postby TrianaSound » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:32 pm

Anyone with experience using MixPre 3ii and/or MixPre 6ii? I’ve been on the fence about which of these to purchase for way too long and need help making the decision. I’m relatively new to sound recording but generally believe in the “buy once cry once” philosophy when purchasing gear.

My anticipated use requirements are as follows:

PODCASTING: Rarely expect to record more than two people in person as most guests will be remote so MixPre 3ii should be fine for this. Want a device that can power mics such as SM7B without additional gain booster which is a main reason for interest in MixPre series.

SOUND FOR FILMMAKING: Mostly short documentary and YouTube content but maybe some commercial work in future. Although rare, I may need to record up to four people at a time (probably three lavs and one boom). Can MixPre 3ii record four people on four separate tracks? I’ve read conflicting information about using the 3.5mm Aux/Mic input while also using the three XLR inputs.

FIELD RECORDING/SFX: This is completely new for me but something I would like to delve further into soon. And this is where I’m the most uncertain about the potential benefit of having the extra inputs of the MixPre 6ii? I won’t be doing anything too serious. Mostly ambiance and SFX for personal film projects. Maybe some stereo recording with a MS setup at some point.

So, given these anticipated uses does anyone see a benefit to going for the MixPre 6ii or do you think the MixPre 3ii will be sufficiently future proof FOR ME?

Thanks in advance. I really value everyone’s expertise on this forum.
TrianaSound
New here

Re: Noob question: MixPre 3ii or 6ii?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:44 pm

For me, and given your immediate and potential future requirements, I think the mixpre3 is likely to be frustrating in its restricted count of input channels. I'd go for the 6 without any hesitation, just because it's so much more versatile and capable, while being only modestly larger and more expensive.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby TrianaSound » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:38 am

Thank you for the input Hugh Robjohns. Definitely value your opinion on this.

Honestly, three ISO tracks is probably more than enough for 95% of my needs. And I'm likely to have something like a Tentacle Sync TRACK E recorder in my bag if and when I do need to record a fourth person anyway. Nonetheless, I agree with you that for a modestly larger investment the 6ii is likely the safer choice.

Thanks again for your reply.
TrianaSound
New here

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:51 am

:thumbup:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual...