You are here

How might one go about learning about synths, without actually buying a synth?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: How might one go about learning about synths, without actually buying a synth?

Postby desmond » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:31 pm

blinddrew wrote:Every time I've tried playing around with a synth I've ended up fiddling with something and it going silent, at which point I can't get it to make a noise again.

This was a great way to get good bargains on synths from guitar shops back in the day.

"It doesn't work, mate. I'll take it for half the price..."
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Re: How might one go about learning about synths, without actually buying a synth?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:45 pm

pk.roberts wrote:
Arpangel wrote:You don’t actually need to know anything about synthesisers, in fact, learning about them goes against what they are supposed to be in the first place, a source of original and new sounds....

I'm afraid I disagree with lots of this.

Welcome to my world! :crazy: :lol:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:13 pm

blinddrew wrote:Every time I've tried playing around with a synth I've ended up fiddling with something and it going silent, at which point I can't get it to make a noise again.
:D

Been there many times until I learned some basics. Thank goodness for presets!
ManFromGlass
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:31 pm

blinddrew wrote:
Luke W wrote:
Eddy Deegan wrote:PS: Moog rhymes with 'rogue' and 'vogue' :-)

Despite having known this for quite a long time now, I still pronounce it wrong 99% of the time.
That's because he spells it wrong... ;)

I suspect it may have been down to his parents actually (or, possibly Grandparents?) :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby MOF » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:30 pm

OP: Why learn about synths without having one?! Go get one and enjoy the experience!

He says he’s never owned a real one but has the virtual ones and as I understand it he’ll be using them.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby MOF » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:47 pm

I agree with this. Every time I've tried playing around with a synth I've ended up fiddling with something and it going silent, at which point I can't get it to make a noise again.
I think I did this with about a dozen machines at Synthfest one year! :D

If putting that control back to where it was didn’t produce a sound I would say they were having a laugh at your expense, by muting the output at the mixer. They can spot guitarists who fancy dabbling in synths a mile off. :lol:
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:54 pm

MOF wrote:
I agree with this. Every time I've tried playing around with a synth I've ended up fiddling with something and it going silent, at which point I can't get it to make a noise again.
I think I did this with about a dozen machines at Synthfest one year! :D

If putting that control back to where it was didn’t produce a sound I would say they were having a laugh at your expense, by muting the output at the mixer. They can spot guitarists who fancy dabbling in synths a mile off. :lol:
No one else was involved, headphones plugged straight into the the unit. I'd obviously stopped something with a previous tweak and then dialled out any sustain or held note but had no idea what had actually stopped it or how to start it again.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby The Elf » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:31 pm

MOF wrote:
OP: Why learn about synths without having one?! Go get one and enjoy the experience!
He says he’s never owned a real one but has the virtual ones and as I understand it he’ll be using them.
I understand, but it's a big difference between a virtual synth and having the real thing with knobs and buttons in front of you. It doesn't have to cost the earth - Behringer Model D, Pro-One, or Neutron, for instance?
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby MOF » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:28 pm

I understand, but it's a big difference between a virtual synth and having the real thing with knobs and buttons in front of you. It doesn't have to cost the earth - Behringer Model D, Pro-One, or Neutron, for instance?

He said he doesn’t intend to buy a real one.
I absolutely do not have the budget to start combing Reverb and ebay for old synths. So... can anyone on here give me a nudge in the right direction as to how I can up my synth vocabulary, so that I can start playing around with the software synths with some level of knowledge of what I am doing?

I haven’t owned a hardware synth in decades, since I sold my Korg MS10. I do have a Komplete keyboard which I could use to have hands-on control of virtual synths but I haven’t done that so far, I’m just as happy using the virtual controls. I think the OP is better off doing that first and then deciding later if a real or controller keyboard would be better.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:44 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Arpangel wrote:Moog? It’s Mooooog, as in moo-cow, always has been and always will be.

All the knowledge... none of the facts... :lol:

Moog sounds cool, Mogue doesn’t, it sounds awkward, even if it is right.
And I'm sure Bob would have understood, how Mooog has stuck with some of us.
I’m not changing, whatever.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:55 pm

Dolmetscher007 wrote:I was born in 1978, so I cut my teeth on synth heavy stuff like the Cure, Depeche Mode, New Order, and the like. However, by the time I got old enough to start learning to play an instrument, synths were no longer the instrument du jour..........

.......I absolutely do not have the budget to start combing Reverb and ebay for old synths. So... can anyone on here give me a nudge in the right direction as to how I can up my synth vocabulary, so that I can start playing around with the software synths with some level of knowledge of what I am doing?.......

Thanks guys!

You are going to need a keyboard of some kind so why not just buy an inexpensive hardware synth of some kind, names like Akai, Behringer, Novation, Korg and Arturia spring to mind but there are many others.

https://www.gak.co.uk/Results?q=synth&pc=100&pr=13,13,12720,12720&so=pl&b=&c=Keyboards%20%26%20Digital%20Pianos&pt=
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Arpangel » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:21 pm

The smart money is on getting a really old Casio keyboard, or a Yamaha PSS, put it through a few expensive boutique pedals, and your an instant hipster.
No, but seriously, it’s a cheap way in, and you can use those throw away Behringer pedals too.
Don’t come round my way raiding the charity shops when they open, as I’ll have been there before you.

:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRGc7f7hhFU
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:32 pm

For a cheap interesting keyboard I'd agree Arpy but the OP want's to learn about synths and those are basically preset only.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:54 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:For a cheap interesting keyboard I'd agree Arpy but the OP want's to learn about synths and those are basically preset only.

Well, I suggest he goes and buys one then......there’s no substitute for hands on experience.

Arpangels Agony Column, never renowned for it's diplomacy and tact.

:D :D :D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:04 pm

MOF wrote:
He said he doesn’t intend to buy a real one.
And I say 'think again'. Having a real one to play with he will learn more in 20 minutes than with a plug-in.

Or simply borrow one - everyone knows someone with a synth, right? Right?... Guys? :smirk: ;)
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

PreviousNext