You are here

How might one go about learning about synths, without actually buying a synth?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: How might one go about learning about synths, without actually buying a synth?

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:05 pm

Arpangel wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:For a cheap interesting keyboard I'd agree Arpy but the OP want's to learn about synths and those are basically preset only.

Well, I suggest he goes and buys one then......there’s no substitute for hands on experience.

Arpangels Agony Column, never renowned for it's diplomacy and tact.

:D :D :D

You do alright mate....
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: How might one go about learning about synths, without actually buying a synth?

Postby Arpangel » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:20 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:
Arpangel wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:For a cheap interesting keyboard I'd agree Arpy but the OP want's to learn about synths and those are basically preset only.

Well, I suggest he goes and buys one then......there’s no substitute for hands on experience.

Arpangels Agony Column, never renowned for it's diplomacy and tact.

You do alright mate....

Well, it’s a bit like trying to learn about driving a car, without actually buying one.
You could, but what’s the point?
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:24 pm

You can learn a lot about synthesis with free/available software synths, and I advise you to do so.

If you get the bug, it may well lead you to an informed purchase of a hardware synth, but I wouldn't spend a lot of money on something you might not even get along with.

There's plenty of resources online to help you get started, and what you have at your disposal for very little investment these days is remarkable.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:40 pm

Agreed Desmond, absolutely remarkable.

Normally I'm not one to shy away from advising that someone spend a bit more cash to get to a certain minimum acceptable quality but in this case, for the purposes of the OP, that condition can be met in software for peanuts or gratis.

Hands-on fun can be stepped up in increments, from a MIDI controller through some cheap hardware knobby synths all the way to financial ruin . . . at a later date.

Mind you, I can also see the POV where some of you might have a concern that the software-first approach might actually deter a neophyte as the lack of hands-on (most especially the ability to grab more than one control at a time, and rapidly adjust stuff all over the machine) just isn't as immediate or plain good old-fasioned fun.

And there's merit to that line of thought too.

But the options have been presented. The rest is Support Group! :P
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:50 pm

I'm very much a guitar player with limited (any keyboard player worth is salt would say 'no') keyboard skills but I definitely find a physical keyboard with knobs on it (ok, in my case, I have a Berry Model D and an Akai Miniak* rather than the original 'Mogue' Model D I learned the basics on nearly 50 years ago) much easier to get to grips with. I've tried with software, I really have, but I guess I'm too 'old skule' (or whatever the current phrase is, FWIW my eldest was born in 1978 too) to cope... Us guitarists are a simple breed, we do like knobs to wiggle and things to press, pluck, stomp or hit**. An analogue, keyboard, monosynth is the simplest, most understandable, form of synth. You press a key and twiddle some knobs and the noise comes out, just like a souped up stomp box.

* TBF I have always had keyboard aspirations, I sold them in my 20's and have owned many different ones during the intervening period but have never got much beyond the 'Three Blind Mice" phase of learning to play. I currently own the aforementioned Berry Model D and Miniak, a Roland Juno-D and a Roland A-90EX with the piano board installed. All I need to do now is learn to play the bl00dy things :headbang:

** yes even a cowbell under extreme pressure...
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Previous