You are here

Ukulele not picked up by mics

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Ukulele not picked up by mics

Postby Miket123 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:36 am

Yes, that's pretty much the issue and as it's on both PC and iPad, your suggestion that it is software-based is what I was thinking. She can hear us fine but we can't hear her playing.

What setting would she need to change, please?
Thanks
Mike
Miket123
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:47 pm

I'm on a PC so it might not be exactly the same on an idevice or Mac but:
Settings > Audio > Advanced:
There's then got 4 tick boxes, the first allows people to select "Enable Original Sound" - technically only the host needs to have this selected but it saves time trouble-shooting if everyone has this ticked.
Tick that and you'll get three more options pop up - which your friend needs to tick on their machine as well:
Tick the first two of these (Disable echo cancellation and High fidelity music mode).
The third only matters if there's a stereo mic involved (most people won't be set up like this, but it'll do no harm if it is ticked though).

Then, once the meeting has started, your friend needs to select Enable Original Sound on the main screen (it's normally a hover-over option top left on a PC).
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Miket123 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:12 pm

Yes, I think you have the issue right there - it seems to be a software problem rather than a hardware one as it appears on both PC and iPad.

I think my friend needs to change some settings on Zoom as well, so will get in touch and see if we can fix it, she's not very good with IT skills, so I need to have all the info there before I start trying anything
Miket123
Poster

Previous