You are here

problems recording in Logic with Apogee Duet and Mackie 802-VLZ3

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

problems recording in Logic with Apogee Duet and Mackie 802-VLZ3

Postby chrisdb » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:59 am

I am sooo close but hitting a wall and could use some help.
I am trying to setup to record live audio and virtual instruments in Logic. The MIDI instruments I can monitor through the mixer and record in Logic. The real instruments I can monitor through the mixer but cannot record ( or monitor) through the Duet.
I have the Mixer setup as the "Home Studio" setup in the Mackie manual that uses the ALT 3/4 for recording the signal through the TAPE IN as the signal out of the computer (in my case the Duet) and the ALT OUTPUT to the computer (or Duet) input.
Is there something I'm missing on the Duet setup? Does anyone have a similarsetup that is. working for them? I'm confused. just reading about it?????
chrisdb
New here

Re: problems recording in Logic with Apogee Duet and Mackie 802-VLZ3

Postby Watchmaker » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:47 am

More detail needed. What instruments, how many at a time? What's the configuration of your gear and how are you routing signals?
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Skepticism is a fundamental component of science.

Postby chrisdb » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:48 am

Thanks for your interest....
I usually am playing solo, sometimes with a partner. I do some backup vocals and play keyboards, guitar and bass- my partner is on harmonica and most vocals. I use two keyboards- Yamaha MOXF8 has stereo sound banks and audio out goes into the mixer on inputs 7&8 audio. MOXF8 also gets used as a controller for Pianoteq virtual instrument into. my MacBook Pro. A Roland a800 PRO for synth and Hammond B-3X virtual instrument into the MacBook also. Guitars are played direct through my pedalboard into input 5 for mono or mic'd amplifier with a condenser mic into input 2. Main vocals go through a condenser mic and the harmonica either through the same vocal mic or a separate dynamic mic into a pedalboard and into the mixer on input 3.
That sounds like there is a lot going on but it's really just one or two people playing at any given time... usually a single instrument, and two instruments and two vocals at most.
My intention is to be able to build a song by overdubbing multiple tracks.
The setup for the signal path I lifted directly from the Mackie manual.

It explains much more clearly than I how the audio is routed through the mixer.
The condenser mics go into inputs 1&2 with phantom power and mono instruments go into the left side of stereo pairs on the mixer. Playing through the MOXF8 the software instruments are working and can be monitored through the mixer and recorded in Logic- but audio instruments that I can also monitor through the mixer (but not the Duet) shows no indication of a signal on the display.

I removed the image link as it was to a file on your local computer and not something that anyone else could access online --ED.
chrisdb
New here

Postby chrisdb » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:51 am

I think I may have the answer...
digging through the Apogee support pages it says

"When using Duet2, Duet for iPad & Mac, Quartet, and Ensemble Thunderbolt, it is important to remember that any of the dual XLR-1/4″ combo jacks are set up so when the input is set to ‘Mic’ or ‘Line’ (+4dBu or -10dBV), only the XLR part of the jack will receive signal. This means that you will need to use an XLR cable or a cable with an XLR adapter connected to it."

"The same is true in reverse- when the input is set for ‘Instrument’, only the 1/4″ part of the jack will receive signal. This means that you will need to use a 1/4″ cable."

Monkeys could write a bible before I figured that out on my own.
chrisdb
New here