You are here

High pitch whine from condenser mic

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: High pitch whine from condenser mic

Postby chanyam » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:19 pm

Welp - the Lyxpro XLR arrived and using it not only removes the high pitched whine, but the signal coming through is louder meaning I can now turn down my gain a bit and still get a signal where normal talking bumps around the -30 to -25 dB range.

I'm still not sure I understand why using the headphone-out to my sound card's mic-in removed the whine if it was the XLR cable, but I've taken about a half a dozen recordings unplugging the mic and plugging it back in and moving the AI to different USB ports including an external USB bus and the recording is whine-free, louder and also more articulate (I can hear my mouth as I swallowed and my lips peel apart between words).

Whether I get it or not, the new cable fixed the issue. Thanks again everyone!!
chanyam
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:29 pm

:thumbup: The usual troubleshooting procedure is to test/replace the obvious things first. We've all been caught out, intermittent problems are always the hardest to diagnose but good that you have solved the issue.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ef37a » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:33 pm

chanyam wrote:Welp - the Lyxpro XLR arrived and using it not only removes the high pitched whine, but the signal coming through is louder meaning I can now turn down my gain a bit and still get a signal where normal talking bumps around the -30 to -25 dB range.

I'm still not sure I understand why using the headphone-out to my sound card's mic-in removed the whine if it was the XLR cable, but I've taken about a half a dozen recordings unplugging the mic and plugging it back in and moving the AI to different USB ports including an external USB bus and the recording is whine-free, louder and also more articulate (I can hear my mouth as I swallowed and my lips peel apart between words).

Whether I get it or not, the new cable fixed the issue. Thanks again everyone!!

Very pleased to hear that. Now, I strongly suggest you buy a Digital Multi-Meter and learn how to test cables. Next stop...Solder iron!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:59 pm

Listen to Dave, he knows his stuff.

I'll just add that the issue with a cheap XLR cable may be down to undersized pins or oversized/stretched receptacles which a multi meter won't diagnose. The latter are very common with cheap XLRF connectors, the sockets deform easily and are not springy enough to return to their unstretched state resulting in a poor connection.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ef37a » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:43 am

Sam Spoons wrote:Listen to Dave, he knows his stuff.

I'll just add that the issue with a cheap XLR cable may be down to undersized pins or oversized/stretched receptacles which a multi meter won't diagnose. The latter are very common with cheap XLRF connectors, the sockets deform easily and are not springy enough to return to their unstretched state resulting in a poor connection.

Not had that Sam but then I don't buy many cables these days. I have bought one or two from Amazon about a year ago, paid about £10 for a 3mtr mic cable and a pair of 3mtr XLR to TRS same price. Not Nukes but no problem. Many of my mic cables still terminate on the old Cannons with the fiddly screws in the clamp. You could safely run a 2kW kettle with the wires!
Many years ago I bought two mic cables from Maplin (still miss 'em!) and the male plugs jammed in some old, standard "RS Cannons". Needed gas pliers to get them out. I complained of course but they did nothing.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:20 pm

ef37a wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:Listen to Dave, he knows his stuff.

Not had that Sam but then I don't buy many cables these days. I have bought one or two from Amazon about a year ago, paid about £10 for a 3mtr mic cable and a pair of 3mtr XLR to TRS same price. Not Nukes but no problem. Many of my mic cables still terminate on the old Cannons with the fiddly screws in the clamp. You could safely run a 2kW kettle with the wires!
Many years ago I bought two mic cables from Maplin (still miss 'em!) and the male plugs jammed in some old, standard "RS Cannons". Needed gas pliers to get them out. I complained of course but they did nothing.

Dave.

When my mate set up his PA hire company back in around 2003 he bought a load of budget mic cables from Thomann, these were pretty much the cheapest they sold. Over a year or so they became unreliable and we traced the problem to the receptacles in the XLRF connectors becoming oversized leading to intermittent contact. Needless to say we replaced them and lesson learned. I 'inherited' some and replaced the XLRF with Neutrik or Rean using them to make up custom lengths for the studio.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Previous