You are here

Best Mic for rap vocals??? (w/ uh7000)

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Best Mic for rap vocals??? (w/ uh7000)

Postby hyphenrap » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:33 am

I've already read all the threads but want to start another to address my specific questions. I am using a uh7000 and am keeping my st69 tube.

I've already owned:
-c214 (liked it)
-ksm42 (sometimes I liked it but wasn't my fav)
-at4047 (didn't really like it that much)
-st69 (sometimes I LOVE it sometimes not as much)

Okay so I'm looking for one of these and am apprehensive hence the thread you see here:

- c214 again
- at4050
- Warbler 87 imitation
- Lewitt LCD (sonically better version of the 414?)
- WA 87
- at4060 (I'd want to love it for that price)
- maybe an old genesis tube mic?

Anyway I was going to grab a 4050 until I read how many people said it was bland. Kinda read the same about the 414. What say ye?
hyphenrap

Re: Best Mic for rap vocals??? (w/ uh7000)

Postby blinddrew » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:59 pm

Surprised an SM7B isn't on your list. It's very commonly used in the genre.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby CS70 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:36 pm

This idea of a mic "best for" something seems very popular with beginners, but it's totally unfounded. A mic either works on a source or it doesn't, and I never saw a mic who cares a bit about the genre of music it's recording. Rap doesn't have anything special to warrant a "mic for", other than perhaps a propensity of performers to wear oversized pants and baseball caps. :lol:

A sonic flavor, for rap you want something that sticks out over a relatively spare instrumentation but a strong bass. So what matters most is the match of the mic to the vocal timbre, as the vocals are often exposed and "bare" - there's not much masking going on. Nobody knows your voice so any of the mics you list may or may not work.

So I'd say: if u liked the C214, go for the C214. You're lucky to have found something that works!

On the other side, I know all too well the lure of trying new microphones and see how they sound on various sources... so what I would do would be to get the C214 and something else to try out... :D
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby hyphenrap » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:31 am

Thanks for the feedback so far. Still on the fence.
hyphenrap

Postby wdsteele » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:14 pm

Im not sure what you did or didnt like in your previous mics , but in my case I didnt like how certain ones brought out a nasal quality in my voice ; I settled on a Telefunken M 81 dynamic , can be a tad vanilla but is realistic sounding and I can add sparkle if needs be , and I see them cropping up quite regular now in hands of major live acts , probably irrelevaht but not bad to know.

I used to have a Cad M9 tube mic , its very nice if you can find one , but doesnt like you to move about too much : I bought it on the strength of Hugh Robjohns review and sold it on the back of my inexperience .

The review was quite clear on that characteristic , my technique was not , alas.
wdsteele
Regular