You are here

32x32, thunderbolt 2... other than Antelope Orion 32+?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 32x32, thunderbolt 2... other than Antelope Orion 32+?

Postby ore_terra » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:49 pm

n o i s e f l e ur wrote:Well there is that argument definitely - they can bring the price down by omitting the DSP / FPGA stuff.

I'm being pretty tongue in cheek with my dig about "can't DSP". I'm sure they could if they decided to put enough effort and money into it - they seem to have done a good job with the TB drivers after all, and the sound quality is supposedly quite good.

Mostly I just wanted to inform or remind people that the RME kit can be set up to completely bypass its internal hardware mixer and do the direct DAW thing too. And if you've enough I/O hooked up to make that feasible it's a great way to do it, for sure. :)

I should note that the RME stuff doesn't suffer from any extra latency by using its hardware routing, mixing and / or DSP lest anyone think so.
I got what you were saying :thumbup:

I don't think it's a matter of "can't DSP" that much. just simply "don't DSP", with its pros and cons.
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Re: 32x32, thunderbolt 2... other than Antelope Orion 32+?

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:37 pm

I should probably add that I didn't post in defence of RME's or anyone elses "DSP" (meaning the EQs, comps, 'verbs) - just to specifically address the hardware mixer functionality - which needn't necessarily impact latency - and that it can be bypassed in the case of RME Totalmix.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Previous