You are here

Any good piano library that doesn't cost a house?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Any good piano library that doesn't cost a house?

Postby CS70 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:57 pm

PM Sent.

Yeah I was impressed by PianoTeq, now if only I could play the piano to make it justice :D
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby CS70 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:02 pm

nickle15 wrote:I'd be glad to check after work to see if you can pitch it, but I would be surprised if you can't. It appears the studio grand demo is rather limited but you might find an answer there. I'm in the US and just started my workday so it will be later but I'll be glad to check.

Thx, you gave me an idea and I just looked at the manual and there's a "master tuning" section with A=440 and a cents knob under which looks like it could be it.

It seems sample based however (unsure) so don't know how far it goes If you could make a quick test and see if it goes to A=443 (and the samples still sound good) it'd be great.

But no stress of course, worst case I download the demo (I'm filling my hard disk with piano demos :D :D)
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby nickle15 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:05 pm

CS70 wrote:
nickle15 wrote:I'd be glad to check after work to see if you can pitch it, but I would be surprised if you can't. It appears the studio grand demo is rather limited but you might find an answer there. I'm in the US and just started my workday so it will be later but I'll be glad to check.

Thx, you gave me an idea and I just looked at the manual and there's a "master tuning" section with A=440 and a cents knob under which looks like it could be it.

It seems sample based however (unsure) so don't know how far it goes If you could make a quick test and see if it goes to A=443 (and the samples still sound good) it'd be great.

But no stress of course, worst case I download the demo (I'm filling my hard disk with piano demos :D :D)

No worries - I'll get to it late this afternoon and will let you know!
nickle15
Regular

Postby nickle15 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:44 pm

The Elf wrote:My favourite for a while has been my Jupiter-80's supernatural piano. I can tune it and run the MIDI through it, if you like?

This reminded me - I've been a "low end" subscriber to Roland's Zenology library for about six months now. I pay $2.99 a month and have access to a ton of sounds, including some fabulous Roland pianos. They're worth the $2.99 a month just on their own, but you get so many more sounds as well. There is also a free version of Zenology and it's got a couple of pianos in it, so that might be a good place to start.
nickle15
Regular

Postby CS70 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:47 pm

nickle15 wrote:
The Elf wrote:My favourite for a while has been my Jupiter-80's supernatural piano. I can tune it and run the MIDI through it, if you like?

This reminded me - I've been a "low end" subscriber to Roland's Zenology library for about six months now. I pay $2.99 a month and have access to a ton of sounds, including some fabulous Roland pianos. They're worth the $2.99 a month just on their own, but you get so many more sounds as well. There is also a free version of Zenology and it's got a couple of pianos in it, so that might be a good place to start.

Thanks! Now 2.99 is a budget I can live with for a single track!! :D :D
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby MOF » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:53 pm

I have the Ivory piano software and the ones in Native Instruments Komplete package, both cost a fair bit of money but nothing like the cost of a house.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:27 pm

As a non-piano-player I bought EZKeys as few months ago. Useful sampled upright with a variety of different models built in, plus all the 'look no hands' magic.
Though thinking about it a bit more, I frequently take the midi out and send it to Sonivox's EightyEight (which came free with my keyboard).
Probably less useful to you if you have a keys player on standby but still a very useful tool for fleshing out demos or even backing parts in final tracks.
Sales come along frequently... ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Trevor Johnson » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:37 pm

Another Pianoteq fan! I have stuck to the basic, stage version, which is all I need, good value at €129.

Pianoteq is the only piano that sounds like a piano to me, its modelling of polyphony beats any sampled piano by a mile, in my opinion.
Trevor Johnson
Regular

Postby Agharta » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:20 pm

CS70 wrote:Wow, that would be great! But - what do you use for playing the midi? I installed the Kontakt player (or at least downloaded it) - is that enough?

Kontakt Player only works with Kontakt libraries that are designed for it.
Most of the cheaper libraries only work with the full version of Kontakt as you have to pay NI to create a Kontakt Player library, whereas there's no fee to create your own standard library.
Agharta
Jedi Poster

Postby nickle15 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:00 pm

CS70 wrote:

I was able to change to 443 with ease and to my ears it still sounded as perfect as it did at 440. Your ears may say differently but I thought it was good!
nickle15
Regular

Postby CS70 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:39 am

Thanks all, much appreciated!

This is a backing part, laying quite low under the rest of the arrangement and exposed only in very few moments, for effect. What I have got sound quite ok to me - at least in the context of a pop track. But definitely got me interested, it's amazing the quantity and quality of stuff around!
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:46 am

blinddrew wrote:As a non-piano-player I bought EZKeys as few months ago. Useful sampled upright with a variety of different models built in, plus all the 'look no hands' magic.
Though thinking about it a bit more, I frequently take the midi out and send it to Sonivox's EightyEight (which came free with my keyboard).
Probably less useful to you if you have a keys player on standby but still a very useful tool for fleshing out demos or even backing parts in final tracks.

Haha, the player on standby is myself, with an average of fifteen minutes practice per bar, plus time to glue them together. Took half a day to make a 1.5 minutes part, so not exactly Wolfgang Amadeus, no. But I had a clear idea of what I wanted so it was fun.. I decided I like it and to keep it, so tomorrow's it's on the second half, which will then hopefully suggest and interplay with a guitar instrumental. Or maybe not, we'll see

I like the physicality of the big Roland keyboard, it feels like a real piano to my extremely inexperienced hands - in the sense that you can play piano and forte! :D

I had a look at EZKeys but did not find how to tune it in concert pitch and the part has a lot of rubato, so the quantization of the creation tool is a pain in the rear side, as you can't disable the snap.. the pianos sounded good (but then most of them sound good to me, I realize :lol: ).
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby nickle15 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:49 am

CS70 wrote:
blinddrew wrote:As a non-piano-player I bought EZKeys as few months ago. Useful sampled upright with a variety of different models built in, plus all the 'look no hands' magic.

Haha, the player on standby is myself, with an average of fifteen minutes practice per bar, plus time to glue them together. Took half a day to make a 1.5 minutes part, so not exactly Wolfgang Amadeus, no. But I had a clear idea of what I wanted so it was fun.. I decided I like it and to keep it, so tomorrow's it's on the second half, which will then hopefully suggest and interplay with a guitar instrumental. Or maybe not, we'll see

I like the physicality of the big Roland keyboard, it feels like a real piano to my extremely inexperienced hands - in the sense that you can play piano and forte! :D

I had a look at EZKeys but did not find how to tune it in concert pitch and the part has a lot of rubato, so the quantization of the creation tool is a pain in the rear side, as you can't disable the snap.. the pianos sounded good (but then most of them sound good to me, I realize :lol: ).

You probably know this but keep in mind you could MIDI out of the Roland - so keep the physical feel - but apply any internal software sounds to the resulting MIDI track.
nickle15
Regular

Postby CS70 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:12 am

nickle15 wrote:
You probably know this but keep in mind you could MIDI out of the Roland - so keep the physical feel - but apply any internal software sounds to the resulting MIDI track.

Yeah that's what I did, only to realize then that I needed a software synth to play it in the DAW :D I quite like the internal physical piano sound so if I have time I'll give a try to bring it back in and record the analogue out.
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby nickle15 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:25 am

CS70 wrote:
nickle15 wrote:

Yeah that's what I did, only to realize then that I needed a software synth to play it in the DAW :D I quite like the internal physical piano sound so if I have time I'll give a try to bring it back in and record the analogue out.

Nice - have fun!!
nickle15
Regular

PreviousNext