You are here

Dub and spring reverbs.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Dub and spring reverbs.

Postby Arpangel » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:32 am

This guy is amazing, his studio, perfect, even though I’m not making this type of music, I love the way he’s got things set-up, I can identify with that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46eJcMkRY4s

Also, that spring reverb :shocked:
It’s just beyond, totally mind blowing....

https://www.rubadub.co.uk/benidub-spring-amp-ii-sping-reverb-amplifier

Of course as usual, and in-keeping with anything I want these days it’s OUT OF STOCK :(

I love this way of working, it applies to so many fields of music, he does have UAD stuff, which is interesting, I think for the vintage effects.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: Dub and spring reverbs.

Postby al_diablo » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:40 am

I have a nice Keeley spring emu pedal, but the new gamechanger audio pedal looks really good
al_diablo
Regular

Postby ef37a » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:49 am

Arp mate. If you want to add some retro 'clang' to your mixes you don't need that dedicated tank driver.

You can use a small mixer to drive the input coil from the headphone output (many cheap amps use the feeble TL072) Then return the signal to a line or mic channel. Or you could use a small hi fi amplifier. Lots of ways to skin this cat, I am sure you will work it out!

For some numbers? "Fender" style reverb channels used the ECC82 valve (some the 81) and that probably puts about half a watt into the drive coil but you can get away with a lot less, just need more 'makeup' gain.

The rare and very expensive Fender stand alone reverb unit used a 6V6 so hitting the tank with about four watts! I do however hear from a good friend amp tech that reverb tanks are not as tough as they were so go easy!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:15 am

ef37a wrote:Arp mate. If you want to add some retro 'clang' to your mixes you don't need that dedicated tank driver.

You can use a small mixer to drive the input coil from the headphone output (many cheap amps use the feeble TL072) Then return the signal to a line or mic channel. Or you could use a small hi fi amplifier. Lots of ways to skin this cat, I am sure you will work it out!

For some numbers? "Fender" style reverb channels used the ECC82 valve (some the 81) and that probably puts about half a watt into the drive coil but you can get away with a lot less, just need more 'makeup' gain.

The rare and very expensive Fender stand alone reverb unit used a 6V6 so hitting the tank with about four watts! I do however hear from a good friend amp tech that reverb tanks are not as tough as they were so go easy!

Dave.

Thanks Dave, I’m just wondering though, how much of the sound is attributed to the unit, rather than the spring? It does sound extraordinarily good, very spacey.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:31 am

Arpangel wrote:
ef37a wrote:Arp mate. If you want to add some retro 'clang' to your mixes you don't need that dedicated tank driver.

Dave.

Thanks Dave, I’m just wondering though, how much of the sound is attributed to the unit, rather than the spring? It does sound extraordinarily good, very spacey.

Oh COME on! Spring reverbs are g'awful things from a sound quality point of view. Full of resonances and colourations. I doubt the transducers are very linear. I put one in a 100W valve amp for a famous guitarist*, company favour (never got a drink either!) and had to work up a notch filter to pull out a nasty honk. In other words, it is ALL about the spring!

You do not want to hit them with much below about 150Hz and a sweepable mid filter would be very useful.

*Hank Marvin told me years ago "never name drop"

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:54 am

Arpangel wrote:Also, that spring reverb :shocked:
It’s just beyond, totally mind blowing....

https://www.rubadub.co.uk/benidub-spring-amp-ii-sping-reverb-amplifier

Power supply and spring tank not included... :think: :shocked: And its the spring tank that really defines the sound, naturally!

Loving the video, though. Everything sounds better with a shedload of delays and reverbs piled on top. Reminds me of all those 'legalise cannabis' gigs I mixed when at college... I can still smell them now... :lol:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby Luke W » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:33 pm

Very cool. Making me realise that I should probably get my act together and finish building my pedal rig...
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Studio - Techical Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby N i g e l » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:52 pm

Arpangel wrote:Of course as usual, and in-keeping with anything I want these days it’s OUT OF STOCK :(

Yes, ive been wondering about that. When window shopping online recently i have noticed that there seems to be a lot of items with long lead times "delivery in MAY" etc. As if the factory gates are open but production is on a goslow.
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby zenguitar » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:12 pm

Saw this in a mail shot recently. Haven't tried it or heard it, but it does look interesting. And yes, it is fashionably available for pre-order. What we call 'out of stock'.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/gamechanger ... f23dfc1621

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
liberté, frivolité et vanité

Postby Agharta » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:27 pm

zenguitar wrote:Saw this in a mail shot recently. Haven't tried it or heard it, but it does look interesting. And yes, it is fashionably available for pre-order. What we call 'out of stock'.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/gamechanger ... f23dfc1621

Andy :beamup:

That is a brand new product and YouTube is full of reviews.
So I suspect when it is actually released stock will be hard to come by.
Agharta
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:37 pm

ef37a wrote:Oh COME on! Spring reverbs are g'awful things from a sound quality point of view. Full of resonances and colourations. I doubt the transducers are very linear. I put one in a 100W valve amp for a famous guitarist*, company favour (never got a drink either!) and had to work up a notch filter to pull out a nasty honk. In other words, it is ALL about the spring!

You do not want to hit them with much below about 150Hz and a sweepable mid filter would be very useful.

Dave.

That’s their charm, the colourations, if you mix them in with a high quality digital reverb you get some lovely effects.
Mixing on a board like that with it all in front of you, no substitute.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:16 pm

Arpangel wrote:
ef37a wrote:Oh COME on! Spring reverbs are g'awful things from a sound quality point of view. Full of resonances and colourations. I doubt the transducers are very linear. I put one in a 100W valve amp for a famous guitarist*, company favour (never got a drink either!) and had to work up a notch filter to pull out a nasty honk. In other words, it is ALL about the spring!

Dave.

That’s their charm, the colourations, if you mix them in with a high quality digital reverb you get some lovely effects.
Mixing on a board like that with it all in front of you, no substitute.

Yer not wiv me Tone. I am saying the spring effects make any electronics contribution virtually inaudible, apart from FR.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby djangodeadman » Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:57 pm

If you’re looking for a cheaper and more readily available alternative to the Fender reverb tank, there’s only one option: Surfy Bear.
https://www.gak.co.uk/en/surfy-industries?page=0#&auto=true&b=1424
djangodeadman
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:11 pm

I’ve decided, this is all too much, reverb tanks, power supplies, I’m asleep already.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:44 pm

That didn't take long! :D
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Next