You are here

Dub and spring reverbs.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Dub and spring reverbs.

Postby Frank Rideau » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:32 pm

IMO for dub, I would be tempted to avoid guitar-pedal spring reverb type and would look for the vintagey dedicated units, you know the one you can kick on them and goes tccHAAAaahaaaAA
Some years ago, I found a Space Echo re-201 at a very decent price. The spring reverb in it is very usable. Now, unfortunately, they are going at ridiculous high price, and this without saying the amount of love you need to put into them to get them nicely rolling.
I also bought a Roland RV-100, low price. A little less agressive, but still very nice.
Check the used market, sometimes, you may see reverb units at very decent price.

This more is my kind of studio for making dub music...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcvIeacjzgE
Frank Rideau
Regular
http://soundcloud.com/orgasmo-sonore Revisiting Obscure Film Music

Postby Arpangel » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:50 pm

Frank Rideau wrote:IMO for dub, I would be tempted to avoid guitar-pedal spring reverb type and would look for the vintagey dedicated units, you know the one you can kick on them and goes tccHAAAaahaaaAA
Some years ago, I found a Space Echo re-201 at a very decent price. The spring reverb in it is very usable. Now, unfortunately, they are going at ridiculous high price, and this without saying the amount of love you need to put into them to get them nicely rolling.
I also bought a Roland RV-100, low price. A little less agressive, but still very nice.
Check the used market, sometimes, you may see reverb units at very decent price.

I recorded in a local Ska studio in the 70’s, we had a Grampian spring, all right, but not worth £6,000 which is what I saw one up for recently.
I had a very nice Vesta Fire dual stereo spring reverb, that was really nice, very very smooth sound.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby MOF » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:55 pm

Arpangel you might want to look at the UAD AKG BX20 and Korg SDD-3000 plugins. I have both of them and like them a lot.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:23 pm

MOF wrote:... the... AKG BX20...

Now THAT was a reverb! :lol:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Frank Rideau » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:57 pm

Arpangel wrote:
Frank Rideau wrote:IMO for dub, I would be tempted to avoid guitar-pedal spring reverb type and would look for the vintagey dedicated units, you know the one you can kick on them and goes tccHAAAaahaaaAA

I recorded in a local Ska studio in the 70’s, we had a Grampian spring, all right, but not worth £6,000 which is what I saw one up for recently.
I had a very nice Vesta Fire dual stereo spring reverb, that was really nice, very very smooth sound.

Cool ! Indeed the Grampian high value as probably more to do with the name of a certain Jamaican sound engineer associated with it. Also pretty sure once you've paid that price, it does not come free of potential troubles...
There is a growing business of people refurbishing old piece of gear and selling them on a flip. Some of them are actually doing a pretty good and honest job, for example these guys:
https://soundgas.com/
They also have a blog article on spring reverbs for those who are interested to hear what they have to say about the Grampian and other stuffs,
https://soundgas.com/blog/which-vintage-spring-reverb-is-best/
Frank Rideau
Regular
http://soundcloud.com/orgasmo-sonore Revisiting Obscure Film Music

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:53 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:
MOF wrote:... the... AKG BX20...

Certainly was. I used the smaller BX15 spring reverb for a good few years, which was engineered in a very cunning way. The service manual is here and includes a diagram of how the springs are arranged. Fabulous technology that worked and sounded far better than traditional Fender/Hammond type spring tanks.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby MOF » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:15 pm

... the... AKG BX20...

Certainly was. I used the smaller BX15 spring reverb for a good few years

I could only afford a very small spring reverb and it constantly boinged at the least provocation. I seem to remember buying it from an early incarnation of Turnkey, before they had a shop in charing Cross Road, I think it was in Hendon. The Great British Spring was much larger and better but still had that metallic sound.
Thank you for the service manual Hugh, I love the pictures of all those springs.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:13 am

Frank Rideau wrote:
Cool ! Indeed the Grampian high value as probably more to do with the name of a certain Jamaican sound engineer associated with it. Also pretty sure once you've paid that price, it does not come free of potential troubles...
There is a growing business of people refurbishing old piece of gear and selling them on a flip. Some of them are actually doing a pretty good and honest job, for example these guys:
https://soundgas.com/
They also have a blog article on spring reverbs for those who are interested to hear what they have to say about the Grampian and other stuffs,
https://soundgas.com/blog/which-vintage-spring-reverb-is-best/

I knew a guy that used a BX20 as a stand for his DX7, he offered it to me for nothing and I said it took up too much room, no thanks, that was about 1988.
Fair enough if you can make a living out of this old stuff, but I do think that some of the prices asked, especially by the people you mention are a bit OTT.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby ken long » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:12 am

Love my Great British Spring for all these reasons. As Frank mentions, Soundgas do a very nice grampian but £££.
ken long
Frequent Poster (Level2)
I'm All Ears.

Postby Arpangel » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:07 pm

ken long wrote:Love my Great British Spring for all these reasons. As Frank mentions, Soundgas do a very nice grampian but £££.

What I find quite ironic, is that a lot of this old stuff was bought by people with little money at the time, we had a Grampian because no one else wanted it, the British Spring, that was a budget reverb, the Grampian was the only commercial unit we had, the rest of our effects, and mixer, were home-made.
Then you had all those Jamaican guys doing it all on a wing and a prayer, mostly home made stuff, they’d pick up on something and it would go into legendary status, now it’s worth a fortune, but it was just what was around at the time.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby ken long » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:40 pm

Arpangel wrote:
ken long wrote:Love my Great British Spring for all these reasons. As Frank mentions, Soundgas do a very nice grampian but £££.

What I find quite ironic, is that a lot of this old stuff was bought by people with little money at the time, we had a Grampian because no one else wanted it, the British Spring, that was a budget reverb, the Grampian was the only commercial unit we had, the rest of our effects, and mixer, were home-made.
Then you had all those Jamaican guys doing it all on a wing and a prayer, mostly home made stuff, they’d pick up on something and it would go into legendary status, now it’s worth a fortune, but it was just what was around at the time.

Some of it was. Lee Perry used a 201. Part of the charm of King Tubby's sound came from the interfacing with his MCI console with built in Altec Lansing stepped HPF.
ken long
Frequent Poster (Level2)
I'm All Ears.

Postby Arpangel » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:00 pm

ken long wrote:
Some of it was. Lee Perry used a 201. Part of the charm of King Tubby's sound came from the interfacing with his MCI console with built in Altec Lansing stepped HPF.

I think a lot of the charm cane from the atmosphere in the studio, and the magicians and musicians in those consecrated studios.

:)
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby N i g e l » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:22 pm

Arpangel wrote:
ken long wrote: the British Spring, that was a budget reverb,

thats what the adverts said but it was way out of my budget !
My ~8" spring reverb was a DIY build from Maplin or E&MM.

I did send off for the G.B.S demo tape though...

N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby Agharta » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:40 pm

N i g e l wrote:
Arpangel wrote:
ken long wrote: the British Spring, that was a budget reverb,

thats what the adverts said but it was way out of my budget !
My ~8" spring reverb was a DIY build from Maplin or E&MM.

I did send off for the G.B.S demo tape though...

Tape and spring reverb!
The holy grail; my beard is twitching. :)
Now if you playback the tape through an actual spring reverb and record that to an actual tape machine...
The universe may disappear in a puff of beard dust.
Agharta
Jedi Poster

Postby baward » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:28 pm

ef37a wrote:
You do not want to hit them with much
Dave.

I seem to accidentally hit (geddit?) my Great British Spring with my foot each time I walk past where it lives on the floor.
baward
Regular

PreviousNext