You are here

Drum Kit 400 euro, suggestions?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Drum Kit 400 euro, suggestions?

Postby herecomesthemoon » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:32 pm

Hi all

I am looking to get a drum kit. My budget is 400 quid. Awful I know but it is what it is.

Any advice on what to get?
herecomesthemoon
Regular

Re: Drum Kit 400 euro, suggestions?

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:06 pm

If you're looking for an acoustic kit there are plenty of older but perfectly decent used kits out there. What is it for though, studio, live? For a home studio a small kit is likely to be better, we used to have an old Pearl Export kit but it was just too loud for the room and sufficient damping to get the volume in check messed up the sound. I now have a Mapex VX Voyager which is much more acceptable and records pretty well.

I would play safe by buying a 'name' make but bear in mind that a cheap kit with decent heads and tuning will sound way better than a badly tuned boutique kit with worn out heads.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby herecomesthemoon » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:25 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:If you're looking for an acoustic kit there are plenty of older but perfectly decent used kits out there. What is it for though, studio, live? For a home studio a small kit is likely to be better, we used to have an old Pearl Export kit but it was just too loud for the room and sufficient damping to get the volume in check messed up the sound. I now have a Mapex VX Voyager which is much more acceptable and records pretty well.

I would play safe by buying a 'name' make but bear in mind that a cheap kit with decent heads and tuning will sound way better than a badly tuned boutique kit with worn out heads.

Thanks for the message.

It shall only be for studio home recording.
herecomesthemoon
Regular

Postby ben howes » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:45 pm

Fairly universal "drum forum advice" would suggest a Yamaha Stage Custom, but it will need to be lightly used at that price. It should be all the drum kit you ever need. You might need to budget for new heads and cymbals if buying second hand.
ben howes
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:57 pm

I have tried the e-drums route between the Pearl and the current kit, it's a while ago but back then we (my drummer and I) didn't get on with it (Roland TD3 based bitsa). He has since bought a more recent Roland TD11 e-kit and we used it on the track I recorded for the forum album #2 (feel free to give it a listen). While I like real drums in the studio I'm not a drummer and the e-kit got the job done pretty well so I'd certainly consider one if I were starting again.

Are you a drummer or will it be for others to play? If it is for a regular drummer to use then you'll be best consulting him, if it's for whoever comes into the studio then I'd go for an acoustic kit.

All the 'names' make some decent kits and the Yamaha Stage Custom is undoubtedly one. If your room is small a full sized kit may be difficult to manage from a sound POV, good acoustic treatment will help considerably.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby herecomesthemoon » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:00 pm

How do those mini kits stack up?

I haven't a huge amount of space to be honest.
herecomesthemoon
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:33 pm

herecomesthemoon wrote:How do those mini kits stack up?

I haven't a huge amount of space to be honest.

I think it sounds ok but you'd have to ask a drummer really, for me it was a practical and pragmatic decision, none of the drummers who use to have complained but it's not a professional studio and most of the time the kit is used is for band rehearsals with the occasional, not too serious, recording. I don't think I have anything I'd allow out into the wild to let you hear it.

What I do have is nice cymbals, '60's Zildjan Hi-Hats, '70's Zildjan 18" Ride and an '80's Zildjan 14"crash. They cost more than the shell pack...
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster