You are here

Whats Better To Record Through / Prism or UA X8P

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Whats Better To Record Through / Prism or UA X8P

Postby Musopark » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:12 pm

I'm not a studio guy but looking to set up be able to record a Vocal through a choice of 4 MIc Pre EQs and 4 Compressors, then through an existing Prism or new Apollo X8p into the Mac. I basically want to bypass the EQ to get the raw vocal in the bag, or have the option for an experienced engineer to dial the knobs as the vocal is going in, having the option to use any mic pre and compressor he wants before it hits the DAW.

I'm not sure I need a patch bay, could be something far simpler.

I appreciate any tip offs

Cheers Michael
Musopark
New here

Re: Whats Better To Record Through / Prism or UA X8P

Postby ore_terra » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:24 pm

both are good converters... you can always use a splitter and try both to AB compare
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Re: Whats Better To Record Through / Prism or UA X8P

Postby The Elf » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:35 pm

Musopark wrote:...having the option to use any mic pre and compressor he wants before it hits the DAW.
Given that making the right decision is of concern to you I would suggest that you record as 'cleanly' as possible, straight into your audio interface and make the decisions about EQ and compression later.

I use a couple of Focusrite Liquid Channels that allow me to choose a pre emulation later too.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.