You are here

Direct, Simple Question re: Guitar Amp Simulating Software

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Direct, Simple Question re: Guitar Amp Simulating Software

Postby Gutter Pup » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:22 am

I know you guys must be tired of the same old "what's the best amp simulating software" questions. However, I don't care about "the best" - all I want to do is find something, anything, with at least a couple of decent, not overly-compressed or cheesy, plausibly acceptable, overdriven and hard rock (not metal) tones. Don't need, or expect it to sound like a real amp or speaker cabinet, and don't care about effects. Just wanna to have a few tones that don't make me want me to say "f-it", put the guitar down, shut off the computer, grab a bag of spicy Nachos and a diet coke, and go watch Addams Family, Munsters, and Green Acres re-runs on TV 'til my brain goes numb . . . guess I'm dating myself here :shocked:

Any thoughts/suggestions ? Thank you !
Gutter Pup
Poster

Re: Direct, Simple Question re: Guitar Amp Simulating Software

Postby desmond » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:26 am

What ones have you tried that in your opinion were “cheesy”-sounding?
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby ore_terra » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:43 am

not sure if it matches all your requirements, but BIAS amp definitively has good tones
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby clube » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:45 am

I am probably the same age and love the sound of a rock guitar from back in the day.
Over the years of amp sim technology I have had about 6 to 7 systems and even now, after all the development, none holds my interest beyond an initial burst of enthusiasm. I use them only for sketching ideas out on the DAW before rerecording using a mic and amp.
So, I think you have to take them for what they are - inherently different - and just either work with that difference or stick with the sound of the real thing that you and I grew up with.
clube
Regular
Music is the gift of God

Postby Music Wolf » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:53 am

For me the issue with software has always been latency. I’m very happy to use modellers / profiling rather than a ‘real’ amp. I gig with a helix, main ‘amp’ in the studio is a Kemper and I’ve been using modellers since the first Sansamp was launched, I think that the current crop of VSTs are fine when applied to an already DI’d track. It’s just the latency whilst tracking that puts me off. That said, because I always direct monitor and use hardware modellers I don’t even bother trying to achieve low latency in my DAW. If you are achieving sufficiently low latency in your system then why not download the 15 day free trial version of Helix Native to see whether modellers are the route for you?
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby CS70 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:58 am

Hardware, find a used eleven rack with the latest firmware in working order. It’s unbeatable in terms of what it does and price (now), and if you can’t get proper sounds out of it,, it’s not the unit. It makes recording in a DAW a breeze with the same feel as an amp.

Though you need to use the analogue or spdif out and not as an interface (AVID drivers suck)

Software, there’s plenty of free stuff that you can download?
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby The Elf » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:13 am

For me it would be Helix Native. I haven't found anything it can't do to my satisfation, and that of the guitarists I work with.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby uselessoldman » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:45 pm

Real amps all sound different either be it different models manufacturers or type. If you have not found tones you like then I guess its down to what you have tried or the setup you are using. There are plenty of good vsts out there, in fact I would say most of the modern ones are good. The best? They all have their strong points,

Overloud u-he slate, Ignite Amps (quite a few plugins), Helix Native, Softube Kuassa, Positive Grind Bias Amp/FX . NI Guitar Rig, IKM Amplitube,

Seriously you cannot tell me there rubbish FAR FROM IT, they are DAMNED GOOD.

You will not get any of them to sound good through a bad amp and poor speakers but what you do get is a great choice versatility and variation. What is a good setup? No idea, I am using power amps into Marshall cabs with a selection of speakers, although even the IR algorithms are available to emulate speakers and THEY ARE are all extremely ACCURATE.

I also have some of the real amps and I have to say I am seriously impressed with IR/Sims, take a dry DI input into a DAW add vst and I would challenge you to tell what is real what is the plug in !! IF a Helix or Kemper is good enough for some of the top bands they MUST be good enough for EVERYONE
uselessoldman
Regular

Postby Fishnish » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:55 pm

Helix Native.
I have a Helix hardware unit too, and usually use the hardware (wet) for playing/direct monitoring, record the dry DI and then put it through the Helix Native software using the same patch as a starting point, for easy tweaking.
Fishnish
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:25 pm

If the Helix Floorboard doesn't float your boat then the Headrush might, I have a Headrush Gigboard, basically the current version of the Eleven Rack. I don't know how much Eleven Racks go for them the Gigboard was £450.

That said if I want to just play guitar I have an 18 watt combo and plug into that, maybe through the Gigboard, maybe through some pedals but if you haven't found a modelling rig that works for you then is it time you bought a decent small amp and just got on with playing?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby blinddrew » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:55 pm

Before rushing out to buy a new toy* I've found it's worth taking one of your existing plug-ins but ignoring the presets. A surprisingly high number of manufacturers of both hardware and software seem to think that the best way to demonstrate their product is to set a bunch of presets up with everything ramped up to 11.
So I'd suggest loading an emulator at random (there was a free voxengo one being mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I downloaded and have already used: https://www.voxengo.com/product/boogex/) and either start with everything turned to zero and build a sound from scratch (exactly as you would if you bought a new amp and all the knobs were on zero) or find a preset you half-like and dial everything down 50%.
You might find that the over-compressed, over-hyped cheesiness disappears and a very useful tone appears.

* unless you're really just looking for an excuse to buy a new toy, in which case, see all of the above! :D
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby desmond » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:21 pm

This is what I need to do, and have been thinking about for a while.

I don't find it inspiring getting an all-singing guitar amp/FX emulation thing and having 17 million presets to wade through - when it comes to guitar, it's more about the playing, and I just want sounds that I like so I can get to the playing.

I remember back in the day, my guitarist got a Boss pedalboard thing that came with a million presets, and they weren't that great. We took an afternoon with him playing and me fiddling and built a bunch of custom presets, maybe 15-20 or so, that we liked and that worked for our sound, and they became a kind of goto signature set of sounds. Straight away that box was 100% more useful, and I need to sort of replicate that process really for me.

I also find it a bit tedious trying to operate the software with a guitar in front of me, and of course as you get close to the screen, you get more pickup noise, and the whole thing just gets annoying, which is why I keep putting it off.

What I'm basically doing is to recording a bunch of representative examples of my (dry) playing, so I can put the guitar down and use those example recordings to go through a build a bunch of my sounds that I can then draw from (and modify if necessary) going forward, and just save as Logic presets so I can call up the sounds I want, regardless of which plugin, or combination of plugins it comes from, without faffing around.

One more item on the to-do list that I'll get to at some point... :headbang:
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby CS70 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:02 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:If the Helix Floorboard doesn't float your boat then the Headrush might, I have a Headrush Gigboard, basically the current version of the Eleven Rack. I don't know how much Eleven Racks go for them the Gigboard was £450.

Yeah that's the thing, you can find 11R for half that and even less if you're lucky, at least here. The rush to AxeFXs and Kempers and whatever new toy has left them as "old" and "outdated" but as you say the Gigboard is the same tech (and not sure if it's got the physical resistive matrix at the input to change the input impedance). Gotta be the best tone/money deal on the planet at the moment.

Nobody can tell what's what by listening, nor if you play with the physical amp in another room. It's only that "as good as it can get" doesn't help selling new units... :D
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby al_diablo » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:39 am

Very interested to know if OP has previously tried anything particular and found them lacking.

Also does the emu definitely have to be software or are hardware units as suggested ok?
al_diablo
Regular

Postby manwilde » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:31 pm

blinddrew wrote:.
So I'd suggest loading an emulator at random (there was a free voxengo one being mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I downloaded and have already used: https://www.voxengo.com/product/boogex/)

Thanks for the link, I´ve already checked out a few presets and found them quite suitable for quick demo tracking. :thumbup:
manwilde
Regular

Next