You are here

Audio Technica AT-LP120XUSB skipping problem

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Audio Technica AT-LP120XUSB skipping problem

Postby DelOro » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:50 pm

So I just bought a brand new audio technica USB turntable which seemed to have no visible problems. I had set up everything from balancing the arm and the anti-skating setting to then being able to play it. What I have noticed is that when playing through the speakers, with USB connection only, there are noticeable jumps every millisecond. Wondering if this could be a wrong balancing issue or a USB connection issue? Or something completely different? I have attached an image of a quick recording through Ableton and as you can see there are noticeable moments of drop-outs.

Would love any help I can get!

DelOro
Poster

Re: Audio Technica AT-LP120XUSB skipping problem

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:57 pm

The breaks appear regular. That could be because the vinyl is warped or scratched, causing the stylus to leave the groove, or it could be problem with the USB interface setup or computer.

So, first thing to try is a different disc.

If you have the same problem it would be worth making the buffer bigger in the usb driver.

Are you mac or pc?
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Re: Audio Technica AT-LP120XUSB skipping problem

Postby DelOro » Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:23 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:The breaks appear regular. That could be because the vinyl is warped or scratched, causing the stylus to leave the groove, or it could be problem with the USB interface setup or computer.

So, first thing to try is a different disc.

If you have the same problem it would be worth making the buffer bigger in the usb driver.

Are you mac or pc?

I have tried on multiple records that don't appear warped. I will try making the buffer bigger on the driver and Im on PC.
DelOro
Poster