You are here

Any ideas which lead I need?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Gobshite » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:52 pm

I want to record audio to my phone via 3.5 headphone/microphone jack with a cable from two stereo rca sockets in my old hifi

Problem is the 3.5 jack has 72626 uses and configurations and most 3.5 jack to rca leads assume the audio is going from the jack into the amp

I actually found a 3.5 trrs jack to 3 rcas (red black and yellow) but even this doesn't seen to work. I'm assuming because the video signal is using one of the jack connections that I need to record audio

Gobshite

Re: Any ideas which lead I need?

Postby Mike Stranks » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:13 pm

Welcome! :thumbup:

Do you have a computer? Why not record on that and then transfer the file(s) across?

A bit more info and background would be useful... eg record from what; phone to record to etc.

Thanks!
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Gobshite » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:29 pm

What I'm doing is using my phone to video record all my old vinyl records to upload to my you tube channel
Thing is I want the audio to come directly from the RCA sockets rather than the phone mic
I have installed open camera which allows you to do just that
My problem is getting the audio from my aging recruited player/amp rcas into my phone mic line in 3.5 jack
Gobshite

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:46 pm

Okay... First, there may be a copyright issue involved in uploading commercial music to YT.

Second, most phones have only a mono microphone input so your music will be in mono, rather than stereo... if that matters.

And third, the TRRS to a trio of RCA-phono connectors should work. The red and black RCA-phonos are usually wired as the headphone outputs from the phone. The single yellow RCA-phono connection is the mono input to the phone's microphone port. So that's what you should connect to the preamp output... but obviously, you'd only get one channel that way...

If you want both output channels (summed to mono) then you'd need an adapter of some sort. one solution is an adapter with 3.5mm TRRS plug to dual 3.5mm TRS sockets -- one for the phone's stereo headphone outputs, and one for the (mono) mic input. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Splitter-POSUGEAR-Headphone-Microphone-Compatible-Black/dp/B079PJL14Y/ref=pd_lpo_23_t_1/257-0382838-5502115?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B079PJL14Y&pd_rd_r=675568df-7a66-4b2c-bfee-3d99d1bc266d&pd_rd_w=j3CwA&pd_rd_wg=qf8oU&pf_rd_p=da0677f5-a47b-4543-8b54-10be576b8f26&pf_rd_r=WGH4A8P9P246PEAD6SJB&psc=1&refRID=WGH4A8P9P246PEAD6SJB

You would then need a cable with dual RCA-phonos at one end and a 3.5mm plug at the other, like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-3-5mm-2-Male-Adapter-Cable/dp/B01D5H8KO2/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=RCA+to+3.5mm&qid=1615131819&s=electronics&sr=1-3

The RCA's come from the preamp output, and the 3.5mm plug connects to the mic input of the TRRS adapter. You'll have to experiment with levels... And this arrangement should combine both channels into the one mic input of the phone.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby blinddrew » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:24 pm

Gobshite wrote:Thing is I want the audio to come directly from the RCA sockets rather than the phone mic
Do you mean the RCA sockets on the back of the record player? If so, does the record player have a built in pre-amp?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:40 pm

I wondered that, too, but the OP said:

Gobshite wrote:My problem is getting the audio from my aging recruited player/amp rcas into my phone mic line in 3.5 jack
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby blinddrew » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:52 pm

Doh! Missed that. :headbang:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby James Perrett » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:11 am

The phone input will be expecting a mic level signal and may well have a voltage on it to power the microphone. Neither of which are ideal for what you want to do.

One way to handle this would be to use something like one of the iRig devices from IK Multimedia. Another way would be to use a cheap audio interface connected to the USB socket via an On The Go connector. Something like a Behringer UCA202 would probably work.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page